Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2008 e-tech 115 won't start with key.

[ Edited ]

Just returned from a Canada fishing trip. Only way to start the motor was turn the key on and jump the selnoid termenals with a screw driver.  Did this about 30 times over 6 days. Boat motor guy had just installed a a jumper set up for when the selnoid or key switch didn't work.  Key and jumper wire both worked before the trip and for the first start on the trip.  Thinking is is not a selonoid problem since the jumper was suppose to by-pass the selnoid; but maybe the jumper just bypassed the key switch.  New key switch was installed last year by an e-tech dealer that I don't have a lot of faith in.

What do I check and what are some likley issues.  This was really a pain expecialy taking the hood off and putting on with 3 foot waves.  This motor has been nothing but problems for 10 years.  Anyone need a boat anchor?

Admiral

Re: 2008 e-tech 115 won't start with key.

Did anyone test the neutral safety switch inside of the control box? If loose, faulty, or not connected, turning the key switch would produce nothing. Also check for 12 volts at the yellow-red wire coming off the ignition switch when the key is turned to START.

A factory service manual is invaluable when troubleshooting the electrical system. It contains large color wiring diagrams and step by step instructions. Your dealer can order one for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

2008 must have been a bad year for Evinrude I have an 08 115hp and I think the first trip out was the only time I have not had trouble with it. I wish it had the reliability of my old Yamaha. But thank God for sea tow
Highlighted
Admiral

That is surprising as the 2008 model year had many improvements that are still in use today on the new motors.

What type of problems are you having with your 10-year old motor?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.