Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2009 225 etec will not start. Drop in voltage

Hi all.  I have a 2009 etec 225 that will not start.  Here is why I have done so far.

- changed the starter solenoid 

- changed fuel/water separator 

- change fuel filter at engine

- tested fuel to engine by using a 5 gallon tank directly to the engine

- battery direct to the engine (disconnected from the battery switch)

When I turn the key the engine turns over but will not start.  Ran the diagnostic software and see that when I try to crank the engine the voltage drops to 7.  

I cannot find a mechanic, in the middle keys, that can work on the engine within the next three weeks. Every mechanic I call either tells me they are three weeks behind or they will not touch the Evinrude because they have too many sensors. 

A friend mentioned it could be the stator but is am not a mechanic and am not sue how to test that.  I do have the service manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Admiral

Re: 2009 225 etec will not start. Drop in voltage

Yes, this is right in the middle of the busy boating season and that makes it tough to find quick service, especially when on vacation.

7 volts at the starter post or the battery is way too low and the motor is not cranking over fast enought and the EMM cannot boot up. Use a voltmeter on the battery posts to see if it drops below 10 volts while cranking. If so, likely the battery is discharged or bad.  Hook up a voltmeter to the start post and the starter frame and repeat test. Again it should be about 10 volts while cranking.

It is rare but a bad starter with an internal short can drag down the voltage also, but most of the time the problem is from the battery, connections, or the cables.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thank you Admiral.

Ok. So here are additional tests performed.

Battery with jumper cables directly to the engine.  Voltage still drops.

Performed the test you suggested and below are the results.

At battery, when cranking, voltage drops to between 10.5 and 11.

At engine terminals, when cranking, drops to between 7.5 and 8.5. 

Mate

I meant to thank you BluewaterBill.  I replied with "Admiral".  Smiley Happy

Mate

Update. 

Checked the the load from the batteries. Everything checked out. 

Mate

Update.

Disconnected the positive to the starter, from the selenoid, and connected directly to tha battery.  The voltage only dropped to 10.5.  The starter seems to be fine.  Engine still would not start.

Admiral

You may well have more than one problem. We recommend a trained tech or at least your obtaining a service manual.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

So why would the voltage drop, at the selinoid (brand new), from 12.6 to between 7 and 8?  I already have the service manual but since I am no mechanic most of it reads like Chinese to me. 

That is the problem I am having. Finding anyone to work on it.  I have spoken to over 20 mechanics, here in the keys, that will not even take a look at the Evinrudes.  99% of them only work on Mercury or Yamaha.  Those that do are backed up for three weeks.  Evinrude seems to be a bad word down here with most of them.

I am considering fixing this engine and repowering with another brand.  We end up spending time, every three to four trips troubleshooting issues with it.The engine has been out of warranty for 3 years and I have had a bunch of problems with it since.  For the past year or so I have also been having an over heating issue when the boat takes too long to get up on plain.  Have tried everything to figure that one out too.

Admiral

Perhaps one of these dealers can assist you.

www.seapowerinc.com
13610 SW 142nd Ave, Miami, FL 33186
(305) 238-1386

www.murraymarine.com
5710 U.S. 1, Key West, FL 33040
(305) 296-0364

www.markeymarine.com
98250 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL 33037
(305) 852-3337

Mate

Thank you BluewaterBill.

So here is the update...

Found a mobile Evinrude mechanic here in the keys.  He stopped by and looked at the engine for 15 min and diagnosed the issue.

- Bad fuel pump (a leak in the reservoir)

- Bad starter ( as you mentioned it might be)

Thenk you for the help.