Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2016 G2 250HP HO - Icon Pro Gauges, NMEA 2000 fuel level not being recognised

I have had my 1994 Barefoot Sanger waterski boat at the dealer twice and been unable to get the fuel level to be recognized by the NMEA network.  In order to use the waterski type Teleflex MV3 mechanical controls we installed the motor using the Universal Repower Rigging System part # 767682.  It provides a way of converting the mechanical throttle controls to a digital signal. 

My 1st dealer visit connected the analog fuel sending unit to the analog input of the Icon Pro Gauge's.  No fuel reading by the gauges.  Testing and using a new analog fuel sending unit did not resolve the problem.  When trying to program the G2 using EVDiag the settings were simply not available.  The software did not recognize the fuel sending unit.  After taking the boat back the dealer learned that the analog input of the Icon Pro gauges was disabled by Evinrude for the G2 motors instead relying on the analog input on the control head.

My 2nd visit had the dealer install the NMEA 2000 fuel sending convertor part # 768452.  Opening EVDiag 6 it recognizes the NMEA 2000 sender.  They we able to open the device and it did allow for setting the tank size, instance and 2,3 or 5 point calibration.  Calibrating it for instance 0, 5 point and saving the settings did actually show that the device was working properly and adding and removing fuel did show proper levels within EVDiag.  However the method for programming through EVDIag with Icon pro gauges requires the control head is to be programmed adding it as an input.  You are to select the Teleflex throttle shift control option.  Then select the fluid levels box and the instances for each tank will need to be programmed.  With the Universal repower control head those options are just not available.  The fluids level tab shows up but only to display the detail of the oil and fuel tank, which showed the proper previously programmed settings.  The dealer was doing me a favor working on this outside of the normal work hours and I have been unable to leave the boat with them for extended troubleshooting.  Is anyone familiar with the Universal Repower Rigging System and how to get the Icon Pro Gauges to recognize the fuel level?  Forgive the lengthy explanation.  I just want to ensure responses are relevant to my situation since so many G2 posts have eluded to problems with fuel gauges.

Admiral

Re: 2016 G2 250HP HO - Icon Pro Gauges, NMEA 2000 fuel level not being recognised

We have forwarded your question to the appropriate department and are waiting to hear a response. This time of year is pretty hectic, please be patient.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Re: 2016 G2 250HP HO - Icon Pro Gauges, NMEA 2000 fuel level not being recognised

Response from Evinrude Parts and Accessories:

Based on the customer's information, we suspect the fluid level converter is not properly instanced. It should be set to instance "4". We suggest that he ask his dealer tech to contact Evinrude dealer tech support for additional assistance, if needed.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you for your prompt response.  I did not clearly note that we tried multiple instances.  0,1,2,3.   According to the documentation 0 and 1 should be for fuel tank 1 and fuel tank 2.  hy instance 4?  That did not show in any of the documentation anywhere and according to the dealer the problem was that the software, and I did see the screen, did not have any of the options that showed up when selecting the controller.  The screen looked different from the screen that comes up when using the G2 concealed side mount controller connected to another boat at the dealership.  The only option when selecting the controller was to calibrate it.  None of the advanced features available to the concealed side mount that are available to the EVDiag v6 were available and I forget the name of the controller, but it was not the Teleflex controller.  I believe it was labeled something like BRP Throttle Controller, The fluids tab was there but none of the options allowing for configuration were.  Without the options we can't add the NMEA device to the control head making it impossible for the ICON PRO devices or the wireless iLink software which is also installed in the system.  We will try to change the device to instance 4. 2 follow up questions, the part number changed from 0764168 to 0768452.  I used the new part number and it says on the part instance 0.  The part number for a 2nd fuel tank is 0764169.  No new part number for the 2nd tank but that instance says instance 1.  I know there is a part number that states it is programmable to any instance but I cannot find it quickly.  My question is do the instance numbers for NMEA devices for fuel and oil need to be unique or do the instance numbers for oil tanks need to be unique and the instances for fuels tanks need to be unique.  I ask because after looking I noticed that the oil tank was listed as instance 0.  Could there be a conflict?  The 2nd question is, could we connect a standard concealed side mount controller and then program the fuel tanks.  Then remove the concealed side mount controller and reinstall the mechanical-digital controller?  Is the programming stored in the controller, the gauges, EMM, control head or somewhere else other than the controller? I can provide a concealed side mount controller for programming if that were an option. Finally, the controller and control head sound similar but are not used interchangeably in the documentation, are they the same?  Thank you again for any insite you can provide? 

Admiral

Have your technician contact dealer support for assistance  in setting up the fuel gauge system if he is having trouble with instance #4.