Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Autpilot for 2015 250 hp twin g2's

Hello Im having twin 2015 250 hp G2's installed. I'm also installing a garmin gpsmap 8015 multifunction display, gsd 25 sonar Black Box. My problem is I want to fly by wire for the autopilot and if thats possible what model do I need to install?

Thanks

Admiral

Re: Autpilot for 2015 250 hp twin g2's

The g2 hydraulic steering is a balanced system so the latest offerings.of autopilot from garmin, simrad will work fine. They all use an external hydraulic pump.

The G2 Evinrude E-TEC does not come with "fly-by-wire" steering but you can get it by upgrading to the  idock joystick steering accessory.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Recently replaced older twin 250 Yamahas with G2 250's on my Grady White. BEST decision I ever made! The original autopilot system pump was installed in the new system...a Raymarine unit...but I was concerned when I read that my older pump could present problems with the G2 DPS. The bottom line is that I did not connect the Raymarine control head, a 20 year old unit, because of my concerns about the pump. The control head had started acting up before I removed the older engines, but that turned out to be a battery voltage (bad ground) issue.

1.Can I use the old pump with a new head, perhaps a Garmin, connected to my Garmin chartplotter? (The autopilot compass is still intact).

2.Numerous "suggestions" have beel floated on various sites, claiming that an external pump is not required, that a Garmin control unit connected to the DPS would serve as an autopilot, as long as I'm willing to give up control of the DPS "low-medium-high" assist functions, the winterization function, and the auto-trim function. All three of those...I can live without, and I understand they can be reset by a dealer should I want to make that change. Can I forget about an external pump, and use a new control head to serve as my autopilot?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Admiral

Your questions would be better directed to both Raymarine and Garmin.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.