Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Considering a NEW in Box 2015 Etec DE300 counter rotating single outboard application...

My two questions are

1) is this year and model a dependable one?

2) On a single application with the new ICON didital controls will the counter roatating engine be an issue? 

Yes is you are wondering the deal is very attractive which is why I considered it...

Thank you in advance for any feedback....

Admiral

Re: Considering a NEW in Box 2015 Etec DE300 counter rotating single outboard application...

The Evinrude E-TEC 300 HP is a well respected engine. Counter-rotation is inside the gearcase so controls do not make a difference.

Buying the motor "in the box" is worrisome. Evinrude dealers are not allowed to sell large motors if they are not rigged, tested, and a pre-delivery form signed by both the dealer and the purchaser. Those conditions have to be met to have the motor registered for factory warranty.

Is this through an authorized Evinrude dealer? What is the serial number?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Re: Considering a NEW in Box 2015 Etec DE300 counter rotating single outboard application...

Yes through an authroized dealer.. I meant box as is NEW sorry my appologies for not explaining correctly..  will get the numbers tomorrow..

Does the counter rotating on a single engine use have any adverse effects, driving, steering ,etc?  I have read that there is not diffrence on yamaha but not sure on Evinrudes..

Thanks for your feedback...

Admiral

OK, I'm glad that we are now on the same page about "in the box."

A CCW outboard may list the opposite way slightly on a deep V design hull due to the rotation of the prop. The only other drawback is the more limited choice of propellers available.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

i have a 22 foot CC   do you think it will still list?/ If so, anyway to offset that?

Admiral

I don't think you will have a problem with that large a boat.

Trim tabs take care of it if it ever becomes a problem.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Doesn't the counter rotating shaft just change the side it would list on? i.e. listing will occur even if it wasn't counter rotating.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

muskiemouth wrote:

Doesn't the counter rotating shaft just change the side it would list on? i.e. listing will occur even if it wasn't counter rotating.

The prop torque resultant ( P-factor) is why the driver is located on the starboard side of the boat, to help counteract the list caused by a right-hand regular rotation propeller on an outboard.

With a counter-rotation engine, the right side driver weight adds to the starboard list ffom the CCW propeller reaction. The owner has a 22' boat that probably is not as reactive or sensitive as a small  runabout would be.

Captain

That makes sense

Skipper

Thank you for your guidance..