Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Cranking battery for 250 E-Tech HO doesn't last.

I own a 2013 Ranger Z520 powered by a 250 E-Tech HO. I have three Lowrance HDS units, power poles, and the usual standard electronics running off the cranking battery.
For some reason I can't get a cranking battery to last a year on this boat before it gets too week to run the livewells and electronics for an 8 hour fishing tournament before the battery goes bead.
I am running the largest 31 series AGM I can find. It will do great for about 8-10 months ( I fish about 14-18 tournaments in that time) and then it just seems to run out of juice in 4-5 hours. This has happened with three separate batteries. Same scenario each time.
Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
I am using the Pro Charging Systems model PS4 to charge the 3 trolling motor batteries and the cranking battery.
Captain

Re: Cranking battery for 250 E-Tech HO doesn't last.

Try using a group 31 deep cycle battery instead of a starting battery.  Deep cycle batteries are desinged to be dischrged more deeply than starting batteries and have more reserve power because of their thicker plates.

Admiral

Re: Cranking battery for 250 E-Tech HO doesn't last.

If there is room, installing a deep cycle battery just for your pumps and electronics would eliminate your starting battery from running down during the day. Evinrude has an accessory auxiliary charging circuit that connects to the "house" battery and charges it independently from the starting battery. See your dealer for more information.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.