Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E-Link use with iPad

HI all,

Wondering if anyone is using the E-Link hub in conjunction with an iPad, iPhone, etc. Just installed the unit, which is on the network backbone and powered up, but I cannot for the life of me get my iPad to connect to the network, though I do see the NMEA net listed as a WIFI choice. Running the latest OS, and I ain't no no Mac guru, but have tried manually entering the IP address, changing security protocols, etc, etc. My dealership is going to look into it in the near future (they have no knowledge of iPad / E-Link issues), but I was hoping to use this asap.

When I called BRP Customer Service after contacting the dealer, I was advised that customers cannot speak directly with a technical adviser, which is frustrating, particularly when there seems to be zero troubleshooting information available web-wise, on BRP's site, or in the product manual for that matter on this relatively new product (particularly as applicable to idevices).

thanks in advance for any help.

Admiral

Re: E-Link use with iPad

If your dealer is unable to assist you, they can contact Evinrude support themselves to find the answer to your problem.

You can also try http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I am aware of that thanks, just trying to expedite the process on a product that I figure should work out of the box.

Captain

Did you enter the Wi-Fi password?

Skipper

Yup, have done everything exactly the way the manual says to do it. I'm wondering if this is a compatibilty issue with Mac, as 'i' devices seemed to be added as an afterthought (I believe the intial offering was Android compatible only).  

Captain

There was a vintage of Samsung Android devices that had issues due to security .

Skipper

The iPad issue may be similar, which is why I tried every available security protocol option to no avail. That said, if security is indeed the problem, I'd have thought the bug would have presented in testing before release?? On the other hand, I have no problem admitting that the problem might well be me, so my hope is to run into someone here who's managed to make this work for themselves.

Captain

[ Edited ]

I have an Android phone and it " just worked".

It was a Sumsung tablet that didn't work with a particular version of the OS. It actually required  patch to get it to work. I was chatting with a guy on another forum that had this issue.He's fine now. I know for sure that this works for at least some iphones. I would post the question to the iphone app developers, they are pretty responsive on play store.

Skipper

Good idea, I'll do that, thanks

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Try an iPhone by itself to see if it will connect.  If so, then it may be something with the iPad.  Double check password, especially spelling and upper and lower case letters.  

If you have access to another phone or iPad, give that a try.

Use that contact address if all else fails.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.