Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Etec 150 trouble on cold start

I have a 2006 Etec 150 and it has developed the problem of taking several cranks on a cold start.  Sometimes is takes 15 cranks to get started.  I have changed the battery to 1000 MCA,  completed a compression test and all cylinders are good at roughly 115 psi, changed plugs and properly indexed.  Also have taken to the dealer twice and have not received any codes on the computer.   I have use 89 gas and have treated with seafoam as recommended by the dealer because he said that he thinks it's a fuel problem.  Once the engine start it runs great all day long.  I can shut on and off with one crank after the engine warms up.  Any suggestions?

Admiral

Re: Etec 150 trouble on cold start

Most of the time we find that some maintenance steps have been missed or overlooked when an E-TEC is hard to start. Your motor is 9 years old and should have had at least 3 complete dealer servicings since new as they are required every 3 years or 300 hours - whichever comes first.  The engine computer and the diagnostic software are not the final word on finding something wrong. They only are one of many tools a technician needs to troubleshoot a motor. The computer diagnostics only test certain electrical items and keeps an engine history. It does not check much more than that.

Some things for the technician  to inspect :

Correct and indexed spark plugs - gapped .028" and in good shape

Compression or better yet a leak-down test

Remove and clean or replace the exhaust pressure sensor tube and restrictor orifice

A fuel pressure test and replacement of the Vapor Separator Filter screen

Check cranking rpm and starter voltage while cranking

Decarbon engine 

Check cylinder head idle temperatures - if not warming up enough, carbon will form in the motor.

Test temperature sensors, air and engine, for proper reading before engine startup

Make sure the latest software is programmed into the EMM

Comply with all service bulletins that may apply to the engine

Inspect reeds 

Your motor is likely a 2007 model as that was the first year for the 150 HP E-TEC even though production started in 2006 - just like today, you can already buy a 2017 car and it is still 2016.  What is your engine model number?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bill I will check some of the things that you recommended that I haven't already checked.  The model is E150DPXSUF.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Just an update to my cold starting issue.  I did the following things listed below:

• Indexed all spark plugs and gapped to ~ .028" -  No change in cold start
  • Completed a compression test on all cylinder and all checked out good at 120 psi - No change in cold start
  • Replaced back pressure exhaust nipple and cleaned sensor tubing and restrictor orifice to EMM. - No change in cold start
  • Fuel pressure tested good and and I cleaned the Vapor Separator Filter screen - No change in cold start
  • Cranking rpms and starter voltage checked out normal while cranking - No change in cold start
  • Treated fuel on 2 separate occasion in order to decarbon engine (Borescoped cylinder and they were clean) - No change in cold start 
  • Cleaned temperature sensors, air and engine - No change in cold start
  • Lastly, I took to the dealer for the latest software program for the EMM and found out that I was missing 2 upgrades one of which was for cold starting.   -  BINGO!!!!!  Cold start issue has been resolved.  I just recently fired my engine up after it had sat for 3 week and it started on the first crank!  I wish that I would have started with the computer upgrade first.  LOL

Thanks for the advise Bill.  It took me while but I am glad the issue is resolved.

Admiral

Glad to hear that you got it fixed.  I feel bad for you as it should have had 3  complete dealer services already as  it is over 9 years old and each service  is supposed to include any software updates that may apply at that time.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.