Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Evinrude G2 Gear Oil - How to add?

I own a 2016 250hp G2.  The owner’s manual does not provide instructions on how to add Gear Oil to the reservoir.  I believe you need to take the tube off the top of the "site window" and add.  Is this correct?  2nd Question, how do you replace the gear oil?  My old Evinrude had screws at the top and bottom of the lower unit.  G2's don't have this.  Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Admiral

Re: Evinrude G2 Gear Oil - How to add?

The plug is behind the front water inlet screens.

Oil Capacity:
Gearcase only – 38.9 fl. oz. (1180 ml)
Gearcase, vent hose and oil reservoir 45.6 fl. oz. (1350 ml)

Carefully remove vent hose from the reservoir
upper fitting. Remove the low water intake screens. Then
remove the lubricant drain/fill plug. Drain the lubricant
from the gearcase into a suitable container.

Trim the engine up slightly to completely drain
lubricant from the gearcase. Use shop towels to
clean up any spilled oil.
Inspection
Inspect the lubricant for metal chips. The presence
of metal fuzz can indicate normal wear of
the gears, bearings, or shafts within the gearcase.
Metal chips can indicate extensive internal damage.

Secure the gearcase in a vertical position.
Use Gearcase Filler, P/N 501882, to slowly fill the
gearcase with HPF PRO lubricant until lubricant
level in the reservoir is between the marks as
shown

IMPORTANT: Filling the gearcase too quickly
can cause air pockets and the gearcase may not fill
completely.

Clean plug seal area and install the lubricant
drain/fill plug and a new seal. Tighten the plug to a
torque of 60 to 84 in. lbs. (7 to 9.5 N·m).
Install the water screens. Tighten the screw to a
torque of 10 to 14 in. lbs. (1.2 to 1.6 N·m).

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Pulled the front screens and there is no low drain to add or replace gear case oil.  G2's are different from ETEC's.  Owners manual says 5yrs under normal recreactional use.  That is fine, but I'd like to know how to add & change the gear case oil on my own.  Seems like a simple question, but suspect the G2 models are so new that knowone has tried to do this themselves. 

Admiral

ken68b wrote:

I'd like to know how to add & change the gear case oil on my own.  Seems like a simple question, but suspect the G2 models are so new that know one has tried to do this themselves. 

Did you read the previous post that gave step by step instructions?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.