Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

New prop fits but rubs on gear case

Hi all

I just bought a new prop for my 2015 60 etec, prop is a aluminium 13.25x17. I took it for a test run today and when I got back i noticed that the prop was rubbing against the lower unit. I also noticed that the prop had some movement forward and back but the prop nut was as tight as it could go. The old prop didn’t do this at all. I haven’t changed the thrust washer at all since I bought it new in 2015. Can I just fix it but sticking another washer on the end? Or is it more compelx?

Thanks
Admiral

Re: New prop fits but rubs on gear case

[ Edited ]

What make, model, and size propeller did you take off?

What make and model propeller did you buy?

The propshaft has a bit of fore and aft normal movement, or are you describing loose propeller movement on the propshaft?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

The one I took off was an Evinrude 13.25x17
The one I put on was a bs pro 13.25x17
I understand there should be some movement but in this case it's about 3/4 of a cm each way.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

The BS prop is an aftermarket design, not an Evinrude product, and it may require a different thrust washer and other hardware. Check with the manufacturer or store where you bought it. We are unable to assist with non-Evinrude products.

Inspect your gearcase carefully for any damage inside the exhaust cavity area and especially to the inner circumference where the prop outer-diameter has to fit closely to seal off exhaust gas leakage when running.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.