Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Tilt and Trim will not raise motor

HI can anyone help?

The tilt and trim on my Etec 90 will not raise the motor if it hasn't been used for a few days or more.

I can here the motor trying to raise it but it doesn't move.

I can help it by lifting it along with the motor and it will raise to the limit then I can lower fully and raise it again under motor.

Works fine after that up and down.

Then after being left for a few days the same problem.

I had the seal replaced and it isn't leaking oil anywhere, I have topped up the fluid still the same problem.

Any ideas

Thanks Greg

Admiral

Re: Tilt and Trim will not raise motor

If the oil level is correct and the trim motor runs when the buttons are pushed yet the engine does not move, then likely the unit is not developing hydraulic pressure internally.  Some likely causes are a stuck open check valve, torn o-ring seal, faulty hydraulic pump, or a broken coupler on the trim motor.

For this type of repair, your dealer is the best bet as he has the pressure gauges, special tools, and know-how to fix it.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Highlighted
Mate

Re: Tilt and Trim will not raise motor

Thanks, I will get the dealer to test it.
I hear there is one near here.....