Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: e tec 75 will not start

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my 75 Etec. It won't crank properly. It is from 2008 and has done an amazing 2500 engine hours. Its like having a half-dead battery, the flywheel turns very slowly but it won't start.

The starting problems occured over one year ago then first time. It appears only at low temperatures, usually

5-10 degrees Celsius, and ONLY when the engine is cold. I got a little help by changing the battery to a 

800 CCA Optima RedTop, but last autumn the problems occured again. I have a voltage drop of only 0,2 V 

from battery to starter motor, so I bought a new original starter motor, but it did not help at all. The battery cables look OK

and are original. The main circuit breaker is also new. The only way I can start the engine cold is to force the

battery voltage to up above 15 V. This is possible only with a old fashioned battery charger. The new smart chargers

will not produce high enough voltage. Could I have a problem with the starter solenoid?

/Martin from Finland

Admiral

[ Edited ]

There is an updated starter that really helps, especially in cold weather, if you have an older 2004-2007 E-TEC 75 or 90. See your dealer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

I had to change the starter to a new style work good now still have to change batteries. I am having new issues starter will not engage and system check is not working but there is a click noise and the tilt works

Mate

there is a new style starter for this engine
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

What is the model number of your Evinrude and what part number starter is installed?

Are you doing the repair and troubleshooting yourself or is at an authorized dealer?

Are there wing nuts on the battery?

What is the voltage at the starter post when the click is heard?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.