Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

e tec 75 will not start

I have a 2004 etec that I purchase in 06 new.  For the first few years it started "okay" when cold.  For the last 5 or more years it has been hit or miss.  Lets say I have had more days sitting at the dock then on the water.  This year I found the answer, I pull start it.  The best part is the advertising I am doing for other outboards.  last weekend I agan was sitting at the dock with a motor that would not turn over.  It tryes but just not enough juice to turn over and start.  New battery, new starter, etc.  I have purchased more new batteres then I can count.  So I removed the cover and start pull starting.  Within a few minites I had an audiance of boaters asking if "that is possible", "I have seen everything now".  The best was "If i purchase an etec will I have to do that".  I first started to tell them "no" it is a good outboard it just did not like starting when cold.  It is better after it runs for a while.  It is a little scarry to turn off when you are a few miles out, but it leads to the excitement on the day.  So I am thinking I should give up boating and just travel around pull starting my etec at different boat launches to advertising for ?????  

AS you can tell I am fustrated with this motor, before I get rid of it and go to a different brand does anyone have thoughts on why it will not start.  It starts after running for some time, and of course it pull starts on the second pull.  Great to be able to pull start in a emergcy not all the time. 

Captain

Re: e tec 75 will not start

I do not see the need to pad your story, but people liek to do it. what is the CCA of the battery and I sure hope you do not have wing nuts. Your post should be the engine does not crank because as yourself said it starts on the rope, which is a huge safety factor. I bet you do not have the latest gear reduction starter motor so if not shame on the person who fitted the "new" starter. Get the P/N of the starter you have and post as well as the CCA of the battery. Anyone done a voltage drop test too?

Any brand of outboard, if the electrical system is not upto scratch will not crank, but only E-TEC will you be able to rope start it and any other clean texch engine needs alot more battery juice to crank and then requires that battery juice to continue to operate unlike the E-TEC.

Skipper

I pad the story out of frustration.  I have pushed many people into etec outboards talking about how much I like mine, and now I question doing that.  As an engineer I wonder if I do not just like the technology, and ignore the problems.   

I have had different batteries setups over the years trying to help this problem.  At this time I have 1 new 690CCA direct to the motor. I had it tested by 2 different battery dealers, check out okay.   I had 2 battery tried in with a batter y switch (with over charge protection, sea chose brand) until a few weeks ago.  I cut the wires to shorten the length from battery to started.  I was told the length of the cable can be a problem.  I replaced the starter after reading about the new gear drive starter this spring.  I told my local dealer about the issue, but he did not know about it.  He checked serial numbers over the years and found that a change was made in 2009?  He got the newer serial number one for me.  I read that the cover had to be cut for the new one, but my Evinrude dealer said I did not have to, and it did fit under the cover.  What I did find is that the bolts holding the starter bottomed out before they completely engaged the starter motor flange.  The starter could move slightly.    I used shorter bolts to hold it tight against the flange.

When I pull start the motor, the first pull I can hardly move the motor.  The second is much easier (like starting a big  lawn  mower)  It starts after 2 or 3 pulls.  Once running it will restart with the key.

Thank you for your help  

Admiral

When you turn the key to START, do you hear a click, any noise, or nothing at all.

If nothing, check the neutral safety switch inside the control box and wiggle the control in neutral in case the switch is loose or out of adjustment.

If you hear noise, put a voltmeter on the starter post and starter frame and read the voltage while someone holds the key on START.  If around 12 volts, the starter may be bad, if less than 10 volts, then you have battery, cable, or connection problems.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

When I turn the key the starter motor starts to turn until the started gear jumps up and trys to trun the flywheel, just not eneough power to turn the engine over.  It is almost like the started is not strong enought or the motor is too hard to turn.

Would it tell me anythign if I took the plugs out and tried to turn it over?

Captain

Do you have the P/N of the starter because 2009 still used the old style and IF in fact it was the newer one you do need to modify the flywheel cover, so something strange there.

Skipper

THe part number on the starter is 587045, 1999-1140017, 2014/01/07.  IS this the new "gear drive" or the old style?  If it is the old I will have to talk to the dealer that I got it from.  I told him the problem, told him what I was looking for.  HE said that he had not heard of the problem but noticied the different part numbers.  I did not have to cut the flywheel cover.  It fits under it okay.  

If this is all it is it would be good.  

Captain

That is the old starter motor and not the one that I am referring too. Get yourself a 587007 and make sure the battery and cables are in top condition and she will spin up alot faster. It will be this easy.

Captain

Don't ETEC's need a 1000CCA battery?

Captain

No.