Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: e tec 75 will not start

I found the problem!!!!!  Or I found a Evinrude dealer that knows e-tecs.  He told me the first year the battery ground was hard to find so many were set up with the ground on the starter.  He said if it is then find the stud where it is should be and move it.  It work 90% .  After seeing this I check how the positive was bolted in and once I redid that it started right up.  NO new starter needed.  Ron Knapik"s Marine Amersterdam NY had the answer.  He said he has seen a few of the early ones wired incorrect.  It was originally put on by a certified Evinrude mechanic.  

Thanks to Knapik's Marine.  After three dealers I found one that knows how to work on these

Captain

Good to hear and good work by that gentleman. A voltage drop test would of found this at the first place if they knewn what they were doing.
Skipper

I have a 75hp 2010 model.  no problems up until now...  new battery but still will not fire.  turns over and spins but never starts.  haven't tried pull starting yet (don't want to).  just wondering if you found your fix?  local evenrude dealer doesn't seem to know what it is

Admiral

Are you saying that the engine cranks over (starter turns flywheel) but does not start? If so that can be a number of things ranging from a bad or disconnected safety switch (kill switch - if equipped) to no fuel being delivered. If the starter is not rotating the flywheel, then there is probably an electrical problem in the connections, starter, or battery.

A trained E-TEC mechanic should be able to troubleshoot the engine very quickly if it does not start.

You may want to contact Evinrude After Sales with the engine serial number for suggestions for a competent authorized Evinrude dealer or your dealer can contact the factory technicians for assistance using their toll-free dealer support line.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Thanks for the quick reply.  Flywheel spins just fine.  local evenrude dealer put a new battery in it.  is there a way to disconnect the safety switch to see if that is the cause?  I was thinking it might be that as well but the safety cord is attached and the problem doesn't occur all the time.

Fuel bulb / filter seem to be full of fuel and pulling from tank

Skipper

quick question...  i am reading a lot about capacitors and injectors on other posts.  if either of those were my problem would if affect the performance of the motor?  Mine runs great - if you can get it started at the dock.  starts just fine after that

Admiral

Any trained E-TEC mechanic can quickly check for spark and for fuel pressure and connect a laptop to the motor to observe if the components either operating within their parameters or not.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

He hooked it up to a computer the last time and found a low voltage code. i agreed for the new battery thinking it would be the fix. As i said earlier.. didn't work - probably came from me trying to crank it at the dock (multiple times)

They are trained but it seems they want me use the trail by error approach.  Each attempt costs more money.  The last conversation i had with him was if the battery didn't work then he was going to order a starter.

You seem to be very experienced with this engine.  where would you look first?  Just trying to save a little money.  Sorry for such a request but this seems so odd due to the engine running great once it starts

Admiral

[ Edited ]

cpike wrote:

They are trained but it seems they want me use the trail by error approach.  Each attempt costs more money. 

Go back and reread the third paragraph in my first reply to you

Skipper

Thanks again

Just spoke with my local tech and he asked to drop it back off.  he is going to contact Evenrude monday.  Will see where this leads.  Thanks for your advice.  Will keep everyone posted