Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

iCommand gauge 3.5 stopped working

I have a completely digital iCommand gauge (3.5") from 2013 that has worked great over these first few years and has been well cared for. Last time I was out, the information began blinking and would randomly shut off, and was replaced by a screen filled with little numbers  (across the entire screen). I tried the icommand gauge yesterday and now there is no data, only the little numbers (for lack of a better description). The screen appears to "hiccup" every 10 seconds or so as though it is trying to autocorrect or reset ......... but can't seem to shake the problem. What are my next steps in resolving this? I was about to buy a new gauge but can't imagine that this one, with limited use over 4-5 years, has outlived itself. If anyone can help, I'd be really grateful.

Thank you.

Evinrude brand passionate.

Admiral

Re: iCommand gauge 3.5 stopped working

The quickest way to find out is to check all the connections first for corrosion or damage. Substitute a known good gauge temporarily to see if it is a gauge problem. Also check with your dealer as there may be a software update that takes care of the problem.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Are the iCommand gauges not serviceable? I pulled the gauge, cleaned the connections and still get the same funky screen. I obviously haven't replaced the gauge yet but was hoping an easy solution was possible. My dealer is too busy to troubleshoot any issues.

Highlighted
Admiral

Sealed gauges are not serviceable. If a visual inspection does not find the problem then temporarily substituting a known good gauge, inspecting the network, and checking for any software updates are the next steps in the troubleshooting procedures. Those are best left for a dealer to diagnose.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.