Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

135 HO shavings on upper gearcase drain plug

I pulled my upper drain plug to check for fluid contamination and found actual metal shavings on the magnet. This engine was new in 2015 and I only have 10 hours on this engine. I am going to get some gearcase oil and a pump tomorrow and change the fluid. Is this normal or have I got something going bad?  I am a auto mechanic and am used to small black graphite looking shavings but these were actual metal shavings ranging in size from about .050 to .100 thousands in size. please advise.

Admiral

Re: 135 HO shavings on upper gearcase drain plug

[ Edited ]

See your dealer and do not use the motor with metal chips or steel shards on the magnet - a fine fuzz is OK and normal

photo Drainplugs-cropped_zps5873d7de.jpg

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

0423161146-1.jpg

Captain

When I changed my gear oil this past fall, my plug had shavings that looked like the middle picture as I had read about. There wasn't any on the upper plug tho and I had the same hours as yours.
Skipper

This is a photo of what I found. The plug on the left is what came out the 2nd time i put the upper plug in. The shavings on the paper towel are from the first time I pulled the upper plug. The plug on the right is the lower drain plug that did not have any shavings on it. I drained the gear case and found no shavings, just a very slight glitter in the fluid. The last time I put the upper plug in it came out clean. Then I Ran a couple Q-Tips in the hole and they came out clean. Could these be leftovers from machining  or do they indicate a more serious problem for sure.

Admiral

Those chips are not machining residue unfortunately. Time to visit the dealer

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Thank you for your speedy reply. Even though this is not what I wanted to hear, It's better to be proactive than ignore a problem that may bow up into a full blown failure when its not under warranty. I will post my results as soon as I get them.

Thanks again

Admiral

From the residue I am guessing that a bearing is coming apart or a gear tooth chipped and is grinding everything up as the motor continues to run.  Had you run aground or hit anything a long time back? If so, often a tiny crack develops in a gear tooth that took the brunt of the impact. Over time it widens until something lets go.

Skipper

Finally got the boat in to be looked at. They flushed, filled, and ran the engine. The diagnosis was normal break in. I know this to be false but I made them give me back the paper towel with the shavings and put all of what they said in writing. From here I'll have to keep a close eye on the plugs for more shavings. To reply to your last post, I haven't hit anything with the prop or any other part of the engine. I have a kicker that I run in water less than 4 feet. Thank you for your time and advice. If you have any thoughts on what they did or told me I would value that as well.
Admiral

Keep an ear open for any unusual sounds and do not venture offshore by yourself.  Check the oil again in about 10-15 hours of running time.