Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

15 Hp HO shuts down after 3-5 min

I have a 2014' E15HPSX that starts up fine and runs for 3-5 minutes and then shuts down. When I try to start it up again the top red lights of the dash gauge light up and nothing (see attached pic not lit up). If I let it sit for 4-5 minutes it fires right up and will run for another 3-5 min and then die again. From what I have read it sounds like the EMM is malfunctioning and signaling engine overheat and shutting things down. Any thoughts on what else it could possibly be are welcomed. Also, any idea on where I can buy a EMM would be great.
Admiral

Re: 15 Hp HO shuts down after 3-5 min

Hi,

Can you be more specific on which "top lights" and what gauge, please?

What is the engine model designation printed on the serial number sticker?

Is this something that just started happening?

Was any service done just before or any unusual engine history?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

I am travelling currently and do not have access to the motor tag. I do know it is a E15HPSX (81003833)

The gauge I have is attached. I beleive the no oil, water and temp light up. This boat and motors are new to me. I bought it from a family in Ottawa 3 months ago. It has 1 season it, unfortunately the dad died suddenly. I was told that service was done on it and they did not hook up the water pump so it had to go back to the shop. That is all I know about it. 

Dash Gauge.jpeg

Highlighted
Admiral

Specifically which red lights come on and stay on?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.