Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2007 150 e-tec fule injectors

Just had to replace my fourth injector.  Contacted Evinrude and they and allowed a "Good Will Assistance" on the replacement cost of the injector  they charged me $220.  The engine has 775 hours on it and so far just for injector replacement cost me over $2,000 which started right after the warentee expired. I now come to find out that the design/function of the injectors were changed on the 2008 models and forward, because Evinrude obviously knew there was a problem with the 2007's.  Why didn't Evinrude issue recalls for the faulty injectors as Automotive and other reputable manufacturers do when there is a known issue with something?

The originaltwo remaining injectors are going bad as well, becuase they fouled the spark plugs just like the one that was replaced yesterday.  I replaced all six spark plugs and the total bill was over $590.  (BTY New spark plugs were installed about 7 months ago)

I am a retired Vet served in Viet Nam era and am on social security.  One of my enjoyments in life is fishing.  But everytime I turn around it seems another injector goes.  I feel that Evinrude should replace all of my injectors free of charge and reimburse me for the $2,000 + I spent.  I literally can't afford it!

Why must people fight with Evindure to get them to do the right thing!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2007 150 e-tec fule injectors

Hi,

We are sorry to hear of your injector experiences. Evinrude is very generous with their good-will policies compared to other outboard manufacturers.

There are several ways for an injector to fail or not flow fuel properly.

1. internal electrical problem - this would be an open circuit, such as a broken wire, inside the injector itself. The warning system will set a an error code designating the injector cylinder number in the EMM memory.

2. Component failure - this is when a mechanical part inside the injector body breaks or jams. Often this is due to water in the fuel or phase-separated ethanol gasoline that corrodes the internal parts causing breakage or "freeze up."  It could be a spring, piston, check ball sticking, etc. There are no error codes stored or warnings given as it is not an electrical problem.

3. Debris -  this is when dirt, sludge, or debris starts plugging up the filter screens inside the injector body and nozzle. It restricts the fuel delivery resulting in lean mixtures, loss of power,  and possible piston damage over time. Not being an electrical problem, there are no warnings or error codes indicated. There are 3 ways for an injector to not flow correctly or to not work at all.

4. Heat Damage  --  The circulation of fuel through the injectors carries away the heat of operation. If the fuel is aerated ( a froth or excessive bubbles ) the injectors will get over temp and weaken the internal electrical components.

For 2008 the injectors were redesigned to a ball in plunger configuration ( BIP) which increases the accuracy of fuel delivery to meet the upcoming changes to emission regulations and measurement procedures.

It is very rare that an injector could cause plug fouling unless debris held the pintle open which allowed excessive fuel to enter the combution chamber. Most fouling problems are due to weak igntion or insufficient engine temperatures, such as due to a faulty thermostat.

From one VietNam vet to another, thank you for your service.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.