Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2007 150 e-tec fule injectors

Just had to replace my fourth injector.  Contacted Evinrude and they and allowed a "Good Will Assistance" on the replacement cost of the injector  they charged me $220.  The engine has 775 hours on it and so far just for injector replacement cost me over $2,000 which started right after the warentee expired. I now come to find out that the design/function of the injectors were changed on the 2008 models and forward, because Evinrude obviously knew there was a problem with the 2007's.  Why didn't Evinrude issue recalls for the faulty injectors as Automotive and other reputable manufacturers do when there is a known issue with something?

The originaltwo remaining injectors are going bad as well, becuase they fouled the spark plugs just like the one that was replaced yesterday.  I replaced all six spark plugs and the total bill was over $590.  (BTY New spark plugs were installed about 7 months ago)

I am a retired Vet served in Viet Nam era and am on social security.  One of my enjoyments in life is fishing.  But everytime I turn around it seems another injector goes.  I feel that Evinrude should replace all of my injectors free of charge and reimburse me for the $2,000 + I spent.  I literally can't afford it!

Why must people fight with Evindure to get them to do the right thing!

Admiral

Re: 2007 150 e-tec fule injectors

Hi,

We are sorry to hear of your injector experiences. Evinrude is very generous with their good-will policies compared to other outboard manufacturers.

There are several ways for an injector to fail or not flow fuel properly.

1. internal electrical problem - this would be an open circuit, such as a broken wire, inside the injector itself. The warning system will set a an error code designating the injector cylinder number in the EMM memory.

2. Component failure - this is when a mechanical part inside the injector body breaks or jams. Often this is due to water in the fuel or phase-separated ethanol gasoline that corrodes the internal parts causing breakage or "freeze up."  It could be a spring, piston, check ball sticking, etc. There are no error codes stored or warnings given as it is not an electrical problem.

3. Debris -  this is when dirt, sludge, or debris starts plugging up the filter screens inside the injector body and nozzle. It restricts the fuel delivery resulting in lean mixtures, loss of power,  and possible piston damage over time. Not being an electrical problem, there are no warnings or error codes indicated. There are 3 ways for an injector to not flow correctly or to not work at all.

4. Heat Damage  --  The circulation of fuel through the injectors carries away the heat of operation. If the fuel is aerated ( a froth or excessive bubbles ) the injectors will get over temp and weaken the internal electrical components.

For 2008 the injectors were redesigned to a ball in plunger configuration ( BIP) which increases the accuracy of fuel delivery to meet the upcoming changes to emission regulations and measurement procedures.

It is very rare that an injector could cause plug fouling unless debris held the pintle open which allowed excessive fuel to enter the combution chamber. Most fouling problems are due to weak igntion or insufficient engine temperatures, such as due to a faulty thermostat.

From one VietNam vet to another, thank you for your service.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I have an E Tex 150. I had 2 bad fuel injectors replaced under warranty and asked about replacing all and had no luck. I have now replaced the other 3 over the past 3 years and the last one just fouled and is open and needs to be replaced. That makes all 6 bad. I think they had a problem and we got hosed.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

We are sorry to hear about your injector issues over the years. You might email the serial number and dealer names of your previous injector malfunctions to brp.care@brp.com to see if any participation can be extended to you.

There are 4 ways for an injector to fail or not work correctly.

1. internal electrical problem - this would be a short or an open circuit such as a broken wire, inside the injector itself. The warning system will set  an error code designating the faulty injector cylinder number in the EMM memory.

2. Component failure - this is when a mechanical part inside the injector body breaks or comes apart. Often this is due to water in the fuel or phase-separated ethanol gasoline that corrodes the internal parts causing breakage or "freeze up."  It could be a spring, piston, check ball sticking, etc. There are no error codes stored or warnings given as it is not an electrical problem.

3. Debris -  this is when dirt, sludge, varnish, or debris starts plugging up the filter screens and passageways inside the injector body and nozzle. Debris restricts the fuel delivery resulting in lean mixtures, loss of power,  and possible piston damage over time. Not being an electrical problem, there are no warnings or error codes indicated. There is a company that claims to clean injectors which can save the cost of a debris fouled one.  They cannot repair electrical or mechanical problems with E-TEC injectors.  www.fuelinjectorman.com   It is not associated or approved by BRP Evinrude.

4. Heat Damage  --  The circulation of fuel through the injectors carries away the heat of operation. If the fuel is aerated ( a froth or excessive bubbles ) the injectors will become overheated and weaken the internal electrical components.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thank you

I contact BRP started a claim and they offered to take $ 10.00 off my 6'th injector   NICE

Please understand I live on an island drive boats constantly, have two 215 HP 2 sea doo's, a boat with triple outboards all with no fuel other issues. 

All the other problem you are listing and in the past Evinrude they tried to blame the fuel is CRAP!  This is the 6'th of the original fuel Injectors which needed to be replaced from 2007, the bad batch- which I guess never happened???   I asked to replace all while under warranty and they said no.  A few bass people had the same problem and put it on the web and they got theirs replaced under warranty even though they were not bad yet.  I  will just plaster the WEB on every site I can how wonderful when you make a bad product, you support bysaying it is a fuel problem, we have no problem.   Yes, all 6 of my original 2007 fuel Injectors have now been replaced and the engine only has 650 hours.  If you call compensation me by discounting $ 10.00 discount the new fuel injector on a faulty designed product, made not to Spec.  a good way to treat customers, Evinrude and BRP- this is what you did!   I asked simply to replace this under warranty as you should have done as you did with others.  AMybe others will see this and class action can be started.   This is wrong!   

Admiral

RicknNH,

We are saddened to hear that you are disappointed with the injector issues you mentioned. You may want to email your engine history along with the serial number, dealer name, and your contact information to brp.care@brp.com 

Mate

Re: 2007 150 e-tec fuel injectors

Bill;

I did contact BRP and gave them my history, and then they spoke to the dealer who gave the same history.  I am not the person who ever complains, have never written on any boat forum or cared to.  Boats break, i towed 2 friends off the lake yesterday.  One with a new 16 hour mastercraft with no transmission and another with a fuel issue.  I understand random problems, my problem is very clearly defined, the fuel injectors were bad and Evinrude knew it.    This problem was obviously fixed with a  different supplier of the fuel injectors and the problem went away. You know it, I know it, and BRP knows it, and ignores it.  Read the post back in 2008 and 2009 calling it  fuel issue and the person must be the only one with that problem. When the problem first happened, we had to wait to get replacement injectors, beacuse obviously the demand was greater than the supply.  Basic business, you needed more injectors because there was a problem.  Any manufacturer would quickly understand that.

If this was a car with a furel injector problem like this, they would all be replaced by the manufacturer or a recall would be issued.  No doubt about it.  This boat is my car, but BRP does not care that my boat will be out of commision and cost me andeveryuone else time off the water and  $ 600+ every time an injector goes bad.  And it was just a matter time, like the retired vet above who had the same isssues.

What did BRP do for him??

Why did the BRP replaced all 6 fuel injectors for s person who wrote on Bass fishing, while only ony 2 of his went under warranty.  I asked then and was told 'no'.  Obviously because he put it on line, I did not. 

We all make choices in life.  BRP chose to fix one person with the identical problem as mine and the vet above, but the bass fisherman who put it on line gets them all replaced.  The Vet above and I basically get told to deal with it!  

You or someone under your name has written very respectfully for years.  I am a reasonable man, is this a reasonable solution?? 

3 Simple questions I would greatly and I am sure others would greatly appreciatte:

1.  Do you think the 2007 e-tec had a fuel injector problem?

2.  How many 2007 e-tec had fuel injectors replaced under warranty?

3.  When did  Evinrude change injector suppliers?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2007 150 e-tec fuel injectors

You bring up a lot of questions, most of which I cannot answer but you are welcome to contact the Evinrude's main office with your concerns.

Customer Service - After Sales Support
BRP US Inc. / Marine Propulsion Systems,
P.O Box 597,
Sturtevant, WI 53177

I would like to add that when the injectors were redesigned in or about 2008, the internal valving and the operational software was changed to increase fuel delivery accuracy for the upcoming stricter emission regulations both here in the US and in Europe. The basic E-TEC injector design and operation has not changed since they were introduced in 2003.

Here is an article that you may find interesting about how an E-TEC injector works.

http://www.evinrudenation.com/owner-zone/understanding-the-e-tec-fuel-injector-by-bill-grannis/