Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2013 150 E-Tec overheating

[ Edited ]

June 13, 2015, I traded my 2007 150 HP E-Tec with almost 900 trouble free hours for a "new" 150 E-Tec Model # E150DSLAA, Serial # 05383091. The dealer failed to advise me that the "new" motor was a 2013 holdover. I guess I should have asked??

The dealer is 45 miles South of my home. Dealer service so far has been prompt and cordial.  We currently have an appointment to take the boat to the dealer 9-8-2015. Hopefully we can get the over heating problem fixed.

This will be the 6th. round trip for various problems on this motor. This is the second time for overheating.

The overheating problem started after approximately 25-30 hours run time.  I am sure the computer printout could verify this.

The "new" motor is installed on the same boat , a 24' 1976 ProLine and same Porta Bracket jack plate on which the 2007  150 E-Tec was installed.

I was not furnished a printout or informed of what repair was made the first time the motor was in for this same problem. Obviously, the lower unit was removed.  Is there any difference between the 07 and 13 lower unit or cooling system that could cause such a problem?  I can't believe that turbulence or aerated water flow is the cause.

I will keep you advised of any progress on this motor problem.

Admiral

Re: 2013 150 E-Tec overheating

If you do not have one, I would suggest that you have the dealer install a water pressure gauge on the console. It is highly recommended especially on boats with a Porta Bracket or a transom-jack device on the stern to avoid raising the engine too high while running.

In addition ask your dealer about the new pressure relief valve spring kit and to check for any aeratedcooling  water problems using a clear hose.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have always operated the boat with a water pressure gauge. The dealer informed me that the indicated pressure was not the true block pressure. He was rather vague as to what the gauge actually indicated.  I did make notes of water pressure and RPM after the impeller was replaced.

This morning I delivered the boat to the dealer, asked him about the  new pressure relief valve spring kit and he informed me that he did not believe anything from the internet.

He did, after my questions, tell me that the previous water pump was melted down. He said he would do an in water test this time himself instead of ear muffs.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

76Proline wrote:

This morning I delivered the boat to the dealer, asked him about the  new pressure relief valve spring kit and he informed me that he did not believe anything from the internet.

I am sorry to hear that your dealer is not up to date on servicing newer motors.

You can ask him or her to contact Evinrude Dealer Support at their toll-free number and inquire about    part number 5006465. The kit is an assembly consisting of the diaphragm, plunger, and a different rate spring for the "blow off" valve and is used in 60° engines such as your 150 HP in certain situations. 

Also ask the tech to compare the water pressure gauge readings during the test run with the published water pressure chart at  rpm increments to make sure that they are within specs at all speeds.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I just realized that my tuesday post should have read water pressure guage instead of water temperature guage. I have now corrected the post. The dealer said the boat should be ready tuesday the 15th.

Admiral

I figured that is what you meant. Did you discuss the improved pressure relief spring with your dealer with the addional information that I furnished?

Skipper

Dealer had boat from Sept.8th till Sept. 19th. After the second sea trial it was finally diagnosed as a weak   tel-tale.  They called  BRP tech support and were instructed how to flush cooling system for EMM and block. They found machining chips  in one of the fittings. The computer printout showed over 100 EMM overheat  range faults. There were  no engine overheat faults.

The motor finally runs and sounds like it should. It has been a long,hot,frustrating summer but  the dealer did take care of the problem. I have put over 12 hours on the engine since Sept. 19th.

Admiral

Glad to hear that things are working as they should.

Highlighted
Skipper

I was thinking only of describing events and results that resolved the overheating problem.

I want to thank you for your support and suggestions. I felt someone had my back if the dealer failed to fix the problem!!!