Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2017 ETec G2 300 Intermittent Shutdown

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a 2017 BerkShire Tritoon from the Detroit Boat show in February.  I ordered the Evinrude 300 ETec G2 with it. Ever since May 28th when I took delivery it has shut down intermittently. I live 20 minutes from our lake in a no wake river. It has shut down while traveling at 46Mph across the lake, and the last 3 times while I was traveling around 5pm up and down the river. When it shuts down All I receive is a Check Engine light, it then will restart once I put it in Neutral.

Two Weeks ago, I talked with an Evinrude dealer, he said that the older engines were very ignition sensitive, but the new ones had this fixed. He looked at my Ignition and told me I had the new fixed version. From there he had me check for loose connections from the battery to the console. I've checked everything I could, I did find that the NMEA communications connections were loose so I tighted all of those under the dash. I thought I had the problem fixed with this tigtening, but last Saturday we went out on the boat and it shut down again. I have less than 10 hours on this boat.  Does anyone have any ideas?  

I can take it back to the dealer to have him run a diagnostics on it, but he's not sure what it could be either or that the diagnostic report from it will show anything.

Thanks,

Admiral

Re: 2017 ETec G2 300 Intermittent Shutdown

We are sorry to hear about your intermittent shut-down issues and thank you for taking time to inform us of them.

It has to be determined if the problem is electrical or fuel related. One thing to ask the dealer to check is the mounting studs bolted on the motor where the battery cables attach. There have been a few cases where the studs were not torqued tight enough to the engine frame on the production line and later caused intermittent shut-downs. 

You can also send an email to brp.care@brp.com and include the engine serial number, dealer name, and your contact information. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Thanks, BlueWater Bill, I'll  reach out to the dealer and have him check this.

Mate

Well I reached out to the BRP care website as you stated and gave them my serial number. 

They told me (unfortunately) that my engine was manufactured after they corrected this on the line.

Any other ideas on what this could be?

thanks,

Admiral

NorthernBoater wrote:

Well I reached out to the BRP care website as you stated and gave them my serial number. 

They told me (unfortunately) that my engine was manufactured after they corrected this on the line.

Any other ideas on what this could be?

thanks,

OK, it was one of those things that many techs were not aware of and could be easily overlooked. I cannot fix motors using a keyboard and watching a monitor. I can explain how something works and can point you in the right direction. Keep in touch with your dealer. 

Your dealer will have to troubleshoot to find out if it is fuel or electrical related. If you are not getting satisfaction from your dealer, contact brp.care with the details. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.