Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Alternate Battery Wiring with VSR and Switch

I have a Battery Wirring dilema that I hope you can shed some guidance on.

I have two Batteries

1 Primary (Cat 880CCA) for starting the motor which is constantly connected.

2 Secondary Deep Cycle for Accesories (GPS, Radio, etc) and and lighting

They are wired in parallel with a Hella Heavy duty Master Switch part number 4720( Hella 4720 swich, Which has only on or off position. So that I can in an emergency if the primary battery fails I can use the Seconday battery to start the motor. (225 ETEC).

In your installation guide you have recomend a 3 pole switch having 

1 Main

2 Secondary

3 Both  

And also a VSR BEP model 710-125A,

Can you please advise if it is okay to wire the batteries using the attached diagram and do I also need a Accessory Charge Lead Kit, P/N 5006253.

Battery Wiring

Captain

Re: Alternate Battery Wiring with VSR and Switch

Are you trying to "combine" battery 1 and battery 2 using the on/off switch?

It would be helpful to know your engine model number, as the accessory charge lead is only used on V4 and V6 engine models.

Thanks,

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Skipper

Hi John

Engine model number is  E22DPXAA  built in march 2013 .

Yes in an emegency were the main battery fails I want to be able to combine battery 1 and battery 2 using the on/off switch?

Other than in that I would like to leave the Primary battery for engine use only and the secondary for accesories.

Do I need the accessory charge lead  and what is its purpose.

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Sam

Captain

Hi Sam,

You do NOT need the accessory charge lead. As I mentioned earlier it is designed for thre V4 & V6 engine models, which have built-ion battery isolation. The 15 thru 90 Hp inline engines do not have that feature.

I will confirm with our sources your proposed use for the battery switch, and report their recommendation some time tomorrow  (Friday).

Thanks!

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Skipper

Hi John 

My motor is a 225 V6 3.3 litre Model number E225DPXAA

Captain

Hi Sam -

My apologies, I totally missed the (225 E-TEC) in your original post and the E22DPX threw me off to thinking "typo, he means 25 HP"...

Using a "1/both/2/off" switch is prefered, as there are benefits to disconnecting the batteries from the engine, but to answer your question: You can wire the charging system as you have diagrammed above, using the On/Off switch to combine the batteries. You do NOT need the accessory charge lead for this method.

If you have NOT yet purchased the BEP VSR, a simpler wiring method would be reference diagram #4 (diagram immediately to the right of the #2 diagram you modified), refer back to the installation guide.

In this case you could substitute your On/Off switch for the "1/both/2/off" switch and use the accessory charge lead to charge battery #2. This splits the charge capabilities at the engine and will always provide a full 25 amps to both batteries (assuming engine rpm is over ~2000). Where the VSR will not charge battery #2 until it senses battery #1 is fully charged.

If you have any additional questions, let us know.

Hope this helps, and again sorry for my confusion with the engine model at the beginning.

-John

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks John.

Haven't purchased the BEP VSR yet, was waiting for your reply.
Will go down to me BRP dealer a pickup an Accesory Charge Lead.