Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

90 HP ETEC Redesign?

I'm contemplating getting a 90HP etec (Not HO) as I have an older boat and weight is an issue.  I'm wondering if the design of the G2 is going to trickle down to the 90HP any time soon.   I'm coming from an old 1966 100HP Johnson which runs pretty well.  It has a 4th cylinder and a larger displacement, so I'm worrying that I will actually see a reduce in performance. 

Thanks,

David

Captain

Re: 90 HP ETEC Redesign?

Go with the90 etec& watch as your gas mileage doubles and your top end increases 20 percent !

Admiral

When the Evinrude E-TEC G2 came out, both engineering and upper management stated that the new technology will trickle down into the other engine families over the years. Evinrude is very hush-hush about new products and does not disclose them until they are ready for the customers.

The regular 3 cylinder 90 HP will not have the same low-end power as a 1966 100 HP. The 90 HO would be more comparable

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I feel that a fifty year old 100 hp engine maybe only producing 75 hp today!

Skipper

Thanks. The problem is the old outboard weighs 275lbs and the HO weighs 399lbs.
Admiral

What size, weight, model, and boat do you have? Do you slalom ski with it?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It's a 1963 Atistocraft Funliner 16' and the hull weighs 600lbs without anything in it.   It is a pretty wide boat though.  Typically it is just me or my wife in the boat with my classic boat club.  But once in a while we go out and ski.   I do want to slalom ski behind it.  My friend did last year.   It struggled, but I realize my prop pitch wasn't low enough.  It typically goes along between 36MPH and 39MPH.  

1963 Aristocrat Funliner1966 100 Hp Johnson Golden Meteor.jpg

Admiral

With that boat and what you want to do, the 90HO would be the recommended engine for the performance that you desire. The regular 90 HP is lighter but with 3 cylinders, it would not have the same acceleration that you are used to but the speeds would be similar with a light load onboard.

Compared to your old 100, your gas consumption would be cut in 1/2 and same for the oil plus you do not have to mix it. The Evinrude E-TEC 90 HO starts instantly with no smoking and very quiet. Learn more about your motor at www.evinrude.com . We look forward to your being a member of our fast growing E-TEC family.

Captain

I agree with blue water bill !

Skipper

Thanks for all the feedback.  I agree in theory, but I can't with putting a 400lb motor on the back of my boat.   It just isn't built for that kind of weight.   

If that were the case, there are probably 4 stroke options that would be lighter and yield better performance than the regular 90.

Thanks for the great insight.  I would be very unhappy to spend that kind of money on an outboard and then feel disappointed by it's performance.

Sincerely,

David