Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
DKM
Mate

E30 DRGAB Dies out

30 hp 2015 will start every time, tell tail trickle to spotty.    Will idle with throttle for about 5 minutes, but when F or R engaged and throttle given, dies very quickly.   Will start up again after cooled down for a few minutes, but when given throttle dies again...any ideas.             2 things that may have happened when this problem 1st started.    

1) during flood rescues in Harvey Waters, who knows what I may have sucked up?      - Tell tail was not producing any water during testing after problem 1st started.   After tracing line through engine and to top of exhaust, no blockages noticed and am able to push air with mouth, down through exhaust and create bubbles in water at lower unit..........so not a blockage issue, right?

2) when adding oil during days of water rescues, I MAY have not put the cap back on tight, because when I 1st took cawling off to diagnose cause of motor dying there was some oil spray inside and cap needed tightened.    I thought air in line now may be cause of issue, but followed the recommendation of running motor then slowly loosening cap and oil level should rise to top to push air bubbles out - - oil never rose and didnt notice air bubbles.

any advice appreciated!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: E30 DRGAB Dies out

The E-TEC oil tank is not pressure activated so loosening the cap does not do a thing for the lubrication system.

Your engine may have more than one problem. A slight telltale means there is not enough water flow due to a pump problem or debris restriction somewhere in the plumbing. The water tell-tale also cools your engine computer components and the fuel vapor separator. Any restriction can cause electrical problems and overheating of the EMM, which causes the motor to slow down to 1200 rpm max.

The motor will not rev up could be from several reasons, lack of fuel pressure, dirty injectors, neutral safety switch on the engine, etc.  It is best to have a trained technician look at your engine for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.