Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Evinrude OMC Outboard Help Please.

I have a '99 Evinrude outboard motor and it leaks oil. Not so much when its not running but when its on you just see oil everywhere in the water around the motor. Even after taking it out of the water when it hasn't ran for a minute its just oozing oil. Now I have talked to a few mechanics and they have said it's normal with that motor because it's the first generation of oil inject. I don't see how leaking that much oil is normal but I would like to see if anyone has heard or has had this problem and if so how can it be fixed. Thanks!

Admiral

Re: Evinrude OMC Outboard Help Please.

Hi.

Could you do us a favor and give us the model number of your engine? It makes things easier to know what exact engine to help give you correct answers.

Have you cleaned around the oily areas then looked for anything leaking oil when you run the motor?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Model #E115FPLSSR

Serial #G04731492

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the model number. Your outboard in not a 1999 but a re-engineered model called FICHT Ram which was introduced for 2000. 

Where exactly is the oil leaking from, and is it brand new engine oil or is it dark- colored oil that has been inside the engine already?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

It leaks from the front of the motor, all new oil. But found darker oil in the bottom two throttle bodies and not much in the upper two. Seems like a good amount just sits in the bottom front of the motor and again all new clean oil. All the piping leading into the motor is obviously soaked in oil. Looks like all the connections are tight. But still hard to tell if one of them is leaking until i can clean it out and run it again.

Admiral

Dark used oil dripping from the throttle shafts is a normal occurance in the OMC built FICHT engines due to the blow-back mist from the reeds closing. It accumulates on the vertical shafts and gravity allows it to travel down and drip onto the motor pan. Some people secure an oil soaking pad or some type of rag to catch the drips.

As for the new oil leaking, you will have to clean and degrease everything then inspect the pump, injector, and each connection, clamp, and hose for leakage.

Skipper

So i cleaned everything and ran the motor and found where it was leaking. It seems to leak from the hose that connects to a filter/mixer. Not sure what filter or mixer it is but its next to the fuel filter. It's a smaller piece and it seems to leak right where the hose connects and there is a little fork pice that holds it in place. Not sure how you can fix the leaking at that point but it really doesnt  seem like the connection is tight by anymeans. I tried to see if I could tighten it and unless there's a special way of doing it I'm not sure what to do at this point. 

Admiral

Is it  where a hose from the oil injector attaches to the fuel system?

Skipper

May I email? I can send a picture.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

How do I insert an image in a post?

To insert an image in a post:

1. Start a new post.
  2. Click Insert Image.
  3. Choose an image source location.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions