Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

G2....ICON....Power Steering

I'm getting close to pulling trigger on new ETEC....G2 I think.  Trying to decide on which motor to buy.

I'm a little confused about G2....mostly regarding the power steering.  I know the units all use integrated hydraulic steering.  However, I just had a dealer tell me that a 25" 200HO G2 can only be rigged with the power steering modual....and that a 20" can be purchased without power steering.  I certainly don't need "power steering" on a 20' boat.

The dealer that told me this is wrong?  or at least I hope he's wrong.  I'm not willing to pay extra for something I don't need.

Confirmation of this would be great.  

Thanks.

Captain

Re: G2....ICON....Power Steering

When ordering my 25" 250 G2, I had the option for with or without power steering.  I will say, the power steering was well worth it!!

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

Your dealer is correct.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

bill

the dealer is correct that the 25" shaft G2 can only come with power steering? it is only the 20" shaft G2 that can come without power steering

tjm

Admiral

My earlier response was almost a year ago. Since then the 175-200 G2 E-TEC became available with regular steering on the traditional TRAK midsection that uses either a steering cable or a hydraulic cylinder.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

bill

so if i order a 250 25" shaft G2 it would come with power steering

tjm

Captain

250HP w 25inch leg only comes with power steering.

I have a 225HO G2 on a 19 ft boat with power steering and I love it. Since my leg is 20 inch I could have ordered one without power steering but I actually wanted it. My previous motor was a 200HO G1 and Ps makes a big positive differance,

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

tjm wrote:

bill

so if i order a 250 25" shaft G2 it would come with power steering

tjm

Which G2 E-TEC  250 are you interested in - the regular 250 HP or the 250 HO version?

Both versions of the 25"  Evinrude E-TEC G2  250 HP come standard with digital power steering (DPS) unless you purchase the counter-rotating version.