Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Prop selection rpm change

2016 60hp e-tec running oem 15 pitch 3 blade aluminum prop 6400 rpm's trimmed@ full throttle. Would like to change to 15 pich rogue 4 blade stainless. Will this change lower my rpm's to 6000 top and trimmed? Boat is CS 16' CC  JVX

Admiral

Re: Prop selection rpm change

The Rogue style prop would need to be about one size larger pitch to reduce the rpm by 400 or more.

Are you sure the 6400 rpm is accurate?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Unless the rpm guage is off calibration,  which I don't think is the case. I rarely run wide open but 6400 rpm is the number. My question is aluminum 3 blade versus  stainless 4 blade with 15 pitch. Going from 3-4 blades and different metals will rpm's drop or will I need a 17pitch 4 blade.?   Thanks

Highlighted
Admiral

The reason I asked if the tachometer was accurate is because the engine has a built in rev-limiter that does not allow the engine to exceed 6250 rpm. If your tach reads 6400, then something is not correct.

A 15" Rogue will lower the top rpm by about 200 to 300 rpm or so, but a lot depends on the boat hull. It may not be the same with different boats. It is by test runs only that you can know for sure.

Your first course of action should be having a dealer work with you and use the diagnostic software to compare the actual rpm of the engine to what is displayed on your tachometer. Once you know the actual rpm, then try various props.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.