Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

etec 115 prop shaft not centered

I recently repowerd with an etec 115, dealer put on a test prop (turning point) and when he spun it it made a scraping noise,

He decided it was just paint, The prop had a little to much pitch so after an hour or so of run time I pulled the prop to replace it and found that the forward lip had been hitting the side of the gear case, I thought prop might be out of round, I replaced prop with new one and noticed that it is much closer to the side of gear case that the first prop had been hitting. so the shaft is not centered in the gear case. Is this common with these or have i got a problem gearcase on my hands?

Admiral

Re: etec 115 prop shaft not centered

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately it sounds like you have experienced a non-Evinrude propeller that could be faulty and may have affected your gearcase.

You should be discussing this with your dealer and with Turning Point Propellers, Inc. If your dealer feels that there is a manufacturing problem with your motor, they may contact Evinrude's dealer support group.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Thank you for your reply. I agree that the first prop might have been "out of round" causing it to hit the gearcase as the new prop did not hit the case but as i stated it is definitely offset to one side of gearcase.

As a side note this engine runs great but my buying and rigging experience was lengthy (8 weeks) and miserable so i am loathe to return to the selling dealer. I am currently investigating other dealers in the area. 

Admiral

weddyjr95 wrote:

i am loathe to return to the selling dealer. I am currently investigating other dealers in the area. 

This link may help

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/find-a-dealer.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.