Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
rl
Mate

issues with 2017 etec g2 150ho

Bought  new 150ho g2 and first time out ran great and went to 6100 rpm. Second time out, motor would be at 1200 rpm and the increase/decrease to 1500 by its self and would not restart - had to be towed in with under 10 hours on the motor. Dealer said never saw anything like that, engine flooded with oil, might have to replace motor. Dealer said, Evinrude tech came out to work on - 1 fouled plug and did update to computer...never got any paperwork and transom holddown straps were missing. on the 5th outing with the new boat/motor the motor was still changing speeds from 1200 rpm to 1500 by its self, only git to 5500 rpm... finally on way back to boat ramp, accelerating, made it to 4000 rpm and then alarm sounded and motor slowed down and got power down meassage on tack....took to another Eveinrude dealer to work on and gave him the history of motor that has approaxiamtle 20 hours on it and 5 attempts at boating - 2 breakdowns out of 5, not good!!

Admiral

Re: issues with 2017 etec g2 150ho

We are sorry to hear that your experiences were not enjoyable ones with your new motor. That is not a normal occurrence.

Please send an email to brp.care@brp.com as soon as you can with your engine serial number, dealers names, and your contact information. They will look into things for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
rl
Mate

UPDATE!

was told it the motor stored a trouble code about a fuel sensor, but as it reset when motor was started - nothing done...last weekend gave the motor another try - will not rev to 6100 anymore after worked on...was at 5700 and motor slowed to idle, no alarm sounded....while the guage had been displaying the motor trim, when the motor malfunctioned - all of a sudden a "F" was displayed, to let me know I was in forward gear....changed by itself????

So, of the potential 8 weeks of usuage, the motor has been serviced 3 weeks by dealers!! 

not sure I need 150 HO, if cann't get any speed out of it...what happens if I was pulling a skier during all the malfunctions???

But Evinrude has stated a file about it????

Admiral

Please accept our apologies for your motor not performing as it should

Send another email to  brp.care@brp.com  with what you wrote here to inform them of the situation. 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Did you ever figure out what is wrong? Im having issues with my 2015 250HO G2. Mines idled rough and wouldnt go over 2k rpm and then died. Took it to the dealer and after 3 weeks told me it was just extremely fouled plugs. Pick it up after i questioned why it just fouled plugs and next day it did the same thing. So come to find out the dealer has the wrong software version. To top it off Evinrude wont send them the software until they complete some training. Tried Evinrude support and that was a mistake. So with no other local dealer able to get my boat in due to being busy, im hoping they can get the software next week.
Mate

Forgot to mention i took 2 plugs out after my 5 min test and after driving 6hrs to get my boat, and they were completely loaded with oil.
Admiral

Rude_Triton wrote:
Forgot to mention i took 2 plugs out after my 5 min test and after driving 6hrs to get my boat, and they were completely loaded with oil.

Loaded with oil is not normal. Have you done the winterizing procedure by chance, or a lot of stop and starts ups?  Any NO OIL codes or alarms?

Is the thermostat operating correctly and the motor warming up to around 140°F ?

One thing to check are the recirulation hoses, check valves, and fittings to make sure oil is not puddling in the crankcase. It is designed to circulate through the engine.

Mate

Bill, the Icon gauge had the temp right around 140. I know this because i allow it to idle a few min to warm up. As far as the winterization no i have not. It did the same thing as when i took it to the dealer..... will only go about 1800rpm and surges. Engine sounded as if it had a knock to it. Delear claimed at first there are no codes or anything. Apparently they need need software...v6 not the v5 they were using. Just aggrivates me that a service rep or evinrude rep wouldnt of told the dealer that they need updated software if they are to claim to service them. Guess its my fault for choosing a non platnium dealer.
Admiral

We are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your dealer. If they do not have the required version 6.x software, how did they rig and set up your motor, then check it over for the pre-delivery inspection form that you and the dealer have to sign?

Send an email to brp.care@brp.com with the engine serial number and a brief history of the motor. They will investigate.  If you did not sign and receive a copy of the pre-delivery inspection form, PDI, mention that also.

Mate

Bill, I was thinking about everything and I remember scrolling through the icon gauge right before taking off (i was changing from foot to hand) if i happened to accidentially hit the winterization what can i do to burn off the excess oil?