Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: 115 HO & Bow Lift

BluewaterBill, my apologies to you and our fellow readers.  The numbers I gave you originally were provided by my dealer upon their 1.0 hour test before delivery.  Everything I did with the trim and jackplate wouldn't even touch 6000 RPM'S 

I ran the boat last night.  First of all, the 115 I was impressed with as far as how quiet and smooth it runs.  Now, to "my" numbers:

It was very windy in Oklahoma yesterday so I did my best to find smooth water.  

2017 115 HO

21 pitch Viper

Empty livewell

2 men

Moderately loaded 

The hole shot is honestly quite poor.  Lots of bow rise.  

5900 RPM's at 44-45 mph GPS

The boat runs flat as a pancake. 

I don't think I can gain a lot of speed but, with good bow rise, I think I can gain a few mph and a little better ride.  It feels like the bow is just plowing water.  

Thank you for additional input in advance!

Ranger Ryan
Captain

[ Edited ]

Furthering Bill's analysis regarding theroectical speed and slip there is still somthing very odd here.

With a gear ratio of 0.5, a prop pitch of 21, and a speed of 45 mph. With a 10% slip you should reach that speed at around 5000 RPMs. This would actually indicate an over-propped scenario.

The number you post suggest a 30% slip factor. Again, you need to find the RPM and trim where if you trim up or jack up you no longer gain speed. You could be conceiling an over-propped situation.

Admiral

Are you trimming the engine all the way down for acceleration and trimming it out until the prop ventilates then back down a fraction for best top speed?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

Yes sir.  I tell you what...I'm going to go run it again by myself and will report back again.

Ranger Ryan
Captain

PROPELLAR   PITCH   # OF BLADES   RPM   HoleShot   Speed @ WOT   Bow Lift   JackPlate Position
VIPER (stock)     21           3-Blade         5980     4.5 sec.        45.9 mph          Poor           1" off bottom
POWERTECH    21           3-Blade         5660     4.0 sec.        43.6 mph          Poor           1" off bottom
RAKER               20           3-Blade         6067     3.85 sec.      44.9 mph          Poor           1" off bottom
RENEGADE       21           4-Blade         5958     3.85 sec.      45.4 mph         Better          1" off bottom
RENEGADE       23           4-Blade         6053     4.5 sec.        43.3 mph         Better          1" off bottom

Any further recommendations gentlemen?  22pitch 4 blade?

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

Are running a Renegade or a Rogue 4-blade  ?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

"Renegade".  All props provided by a local prop shop that allows you to test.  I'm curious about the Rogue and your thoughts.

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

RangerRyan wrote:

"Renegade".  All props provided by a local prop shop that allows you to test.  I'm curious about the Rogue and your thoughts.

Are these the old   O  M  C    built   V-4    Renegades   ?    What are the part numbers on them  ?  

Did you check the gearcase ratios per the article link that   I   furnished  ?  

The prop calculator still comes up with excessive slippage on the props.    Please have the dealer check the tach with his laptop diagnostic software.

Captain

I'll get those prop part numbers for you.  I'm going to retest Thursday.  This Wednesday I'm having the trim tabs removed from the hull

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

Trim tabs may have held the bow down and that is why you did not get much lift .