Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: 115 HO & Bow Lift

[ Edited ]

IMG_0434.JPGI'm impressed with the 115HO Bill.  It has some power and feels like a 2nd gear about the time the bow drops.  I too, as well as many others feel the tabs keep the boat to flat.

Help me understand the gear ratio question you asked me about.  Do you think the Rogue prop design is better fit for this new engine vs the older renegade?

Ranger Ryan
Captain

BluewaterBill, I never did get a response regarding gear ratio's??  However, here are various prop results before and after trim tab removal on my 2017 Ranger RT188.  Testing conditions were 10-15 mph winds. High humidity and a temperature of 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit.  My local prop shop is looking for a 23-24 pitch RAKER to test.  I have no problem turning around the 6,000 RPM mark.  Anxious to hear your thoughts!

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I  can see what a drag those  " trim tabs "  were from your performance chart.   You picked up some much needed speed. Keep experimenting with props.

Did you read that article and find out what your gear ratio is ? 

Perhaps with some TLC by a reputable prop shop on the  Renegade and/or  Raker, you may be able to tweak the rpm a bit and increase the speed slightly.  Keep the top rpm at 5800-6000 for best results with a light load.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

I will keep tweaking and report back sir!

I am not sure of the article you are referring too?

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

RangerRyan wrote:

I am not sure of the article you are referring too?

From 3 weeks ago, second from the bottom post on page 1

Gear Ratio Calculation - http://www.evinrudenation.com/owner-zone/by-the-numbers-gear-ratio-determination-and-speed-calculati...

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

To me the numbers posted here still look very odd. In every case you a slip of 25-30%.  Putting a 23 inch prop on a 115 to go 48MPH is bizaar.

I realize all boat arent the same, but I had an aluminum fishing boat with a 115 eveinrude DI and (at extreme ideal conditions) I could get 50 MPh on GPS. This was at 5800rpm with an 18 (or maybe 19) inch Raker.

Of course non of the above matters except that (IMHO) you are lugging that engine in a very overpropped situation unless you happen to ventalating profusly at every RPM and trim angle. The fear here is a blown engine.Lets hope I'm wrong.

Captain

Muskiemouth, I'm not sure how to read your response.  With that said, have you got any "suggestions" that might benefit this subject?

And, exactly what boat did you have that you are referencing?

Ranger Ryan
Captain

[ Edited ]

The boat is really irrelevant it was 2001  17.5 foot aluminum princecraft 176 fnp with an Evinrude 115, boat and motor weighed 1900 Lbs . I don't think Bill disagrees, he is far more familiar with this than me. The  numbers make no sense.

This is the number I would like to see.

Before launching set the motor height (jack plate) so that the anti-ventilation plate is parallel with the bottom of the hull when the engine is vertical.  (leave it there , don't touch it in the water)

In the water trim all the way down (not trimmed in)  leave it there. Open to WOT, what is your speed on GPS and RPM under these conditions?

Take this for what it's worth, but here is a fellow (RT188 115 ETEC)  that gets roughy the same speed as you, but with a 19 raker. His numbers make sense, about 5-10% slip, with a 19 inch prop. Compares very well to my old boat also. He went to 17 inch to mitigate overpropping I think.He doesn't have a jack plate, but the jack plate is a variable that is likely involved with the ventalation somehow.

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/115etec-on-ranger-rt-188-6414939

Captain

[ Edited ]

I know this thread is a year old, but I am experiencing the exact same rpm and speed on the same motor and hull except mine is the Triton.

Is it possible the literature is incorrect and the 115 HO 20" has a 2.25 gear ratio? It sure makes the prop slip numbers more realistic. 21% for 2.0 gears and 12% for 2.25 gears.

Can anyone from Evinrude confirm the actual gear ratio. The Service manual says 2.0 also.

A115GHLAF

I found this thread

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Owner-s-Zone/Etec-115-HO-what-is-the-lower-gear-Ratio-Does-BRP-even...

Huey lists the A115SHLAF as having a 2.36:1 gear ratio. Would that be the same for my model?

Admiral

WI_X18_90hp wrote:

I know this thread is a year old, but I am experiencing the exact same rpm and speed on the same motor and hull except mine is the Triton.

Is it possible the literature is incorrect and the 115 HO 20" has a 2.25 gear ratio? It sure makes the prop slip numbers more realistic. 21% for 2.0 gears and 12% for 2.25 gears.

Can anyone from Evinrude confirm the actual gear ratio. The Service manual says 2.0 also.

A115GHLAF

Huey lists the A115SHLAF as having a 2.36:1 gear ratio. Would that be the same for my model?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look on the serial number tag on the motor for the complete model number, there is one more letter needed.  If the final letter is " B " or higher, then you have the 11:26   -   0.42   -   2.36:1  gear ratio.

Ask your dealer to refer to service bulletin dated January 2014, number  2014-01(S)