Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

1996 Evinrude 150 Firing Gremlin!

I have an Evinrude 150 Model E150SLEDB.

I have had the boat since December of last year.  It has not once given me a problem starting. Until, yesteday.

First time in weeks the weather has cooperated. Backed it down the ramp, turned it over.  Cranks, no spark (didn't put a tester on it, but never even TRIED to fire. After several attempts, threw in the towell and pulled it back home.

Immediately hooked it up to the muffs, turned the key.....immediatly fired and started. GRRRR.

So, scrapped plans to fish yesterday evening and would just regroup this morning.  Got up, turned the water on, hit the key........crank crank crank.....no fire AGAIN! Same as yesterday at the ramp So now I'm aggravated and annoyed.  Spent the next couple of hours just piddling around. Fellow fisherman and neighbor happens to be out, and after telling me about his haul this morning, we start talking about mine not starting.  Explained it. Decided to show him. Hooked up muffs, turned key, FIRED and STARTED! WTH?!

Any ideas?

Admiral

Re: 1996 Evinrude 150 Firing Gremlin!

Obtain a clip-on type timing light and use it to check for spark if the motor will not start.  If OK, check primer solenoid for actuation and fuel flow after squeezing the primer ball to rock hard.

check plugs for .030" gap and be sure that they are Champion QL78YC plugs as long as you are certain the motor is a loop scavenged V6 60° model and not a 90° V6.

Make sure battery and cables are in good shape and the motor is cranking over fast enough.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.