Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2005 E-Tech 225 H.O. issues

Howdy guys, first time on here hoping i can get some answers on whats going on with my engine.  First, i have a 2005 Champion 206 Elite DCX with 2 pro series power poles and a 12" slidemaster manual jackplate, and a magnum lower unit and a Raker II 26 pitch prop.  The problem I'm having is when i go to take off, my boat will raise the nose as its suppose to but my motor wont go above 3000 rpms, no matter how much throttle I give it, and will only acheive 10-11 mph gps.  When i turn the wheel to the right, while trying to go, my speed decsreases to 9 mph and when i turn the wheel to the left i can get more speed to where i can get the boat on plane at 13 mph.  As soon as she get up on plane, the motor rpms will then jump to 6000 rpms and she will slowly slip her way to cruising speed.  I recently changed out the spark plugs for this issue and no change happened.  Mind you, she only seems to do this when i have a full tournament load (full livewells, full fuel tank, co-angler and gear...etc), it also does do it when not having a full load, but rarely.  I checked the compression of the motor and have 120 psi +/- 5 on all 6 cylinders.  Anybody have any guesses on where i could start troubleshooting?  I am very mechanically inclined, as i work on helicopers for a living.  I metered a few of the sensors, CPS and TPS and all metered with-in specs.  Any help would be much appreciated as i run 12+ tournaments a year and this is really limiting me as i cant make my long runs.  Thanks for your time and i look forward to hearing some of you alls feedback.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2005 E-Tech 225 H.O. issues

It would be advisable to have a trained tech run the boat with the diagnostic software to check all the engine parameters and adjustments, check the timing, and to do a cylinder balance test procedure. If everything checks out OK, then it may help to experiment with lesser pitch propellers, weight distribution, engine rigging, etc.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Re: 2005 E-Tech 225 H.O. issues

[ Edited ]

According to some bass boat aficionados, your boat is now very stern heavy with PowerPoles attached and much harder to get on  plane. 

Some suggested the 25" Renegade Bass 4-blade prop for improved results.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.