Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2006 Etec 150 questions

Hello everyone , this is my first post here and from what I can see there is a lot of great information to be had.  I hope to be a contributing member soon as I am looking at purchasing a 19 Mako with a 150 E-Tec.  I am meeting with a brokerage on Monday to seatrial the boat and I was supposed to get a diagnostic printout from their on site mechanic staff but was told yesterday that there is no port to plug in the diagnostics.  Can anyone verify this to be true ? Also , from my boat hunting experience I have come to learn that each outboard manufacturer has there problem engines and years, overall how is this engine ? Also, If a diagnostic cannot be done on this engine aside from a compression test, is there anything else I should look for.  Thank you for any and all help

Admiral

Re: 2006 Etec 150 questions

[ Edited ]

All Evinrude FICHT and E-TEC outboards since 1997 have the same computer interface port for diagnostics.

Find a trained Evinrude tech to go over the motor first before your purchase it and be sure to ask for a copy of the printout.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Re: 2006 Etec 150 questions

Thank you , much appreciated.