Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2006 Etec 250 problems

Here is what it is doing... last season, motor died, though it was the fuel pump, had it replaced at the end of the season ( has an I command and never alarmed me like my other motor when the fuel pump went)... so this season, change the plug, all the filters.... put it in the water.... fires right up!!!! Let idle for 20 min... go to leave the marina, idea it up to about 2000 rpm.... motor dies and won't restart... I think it's a fuel issue.... the ball is rock hard.... my other 2 motors are running fine... about an hour later, I get to my new marina, I try and start the one that died.... fired right up!!!!!

Electrical im thinking????? ANY HELP???? Please!!!
Mate

Re: 2006 Etec 250 problems

Oh... after the motor died, I tried to restart like 50 times... no luck
Admiral

The first step a technician does in troubleshooting an engine is to determine if the issue is fuel, electrical, or mechanical related.  The factory training, special tools, and the factory service manual assist in finding the cause and correcting it.

See your authorized Evinrude dealer to have your motor inspected and the root cause discovered and repaired.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Thanks... HUGE help!!! This is a "forum" for ideas, suggestions, trouble shooting.... etc... but thanks again for the "take it to the dealer" response....

Now, for anyone who has any meaningful thoughts, suggestions or insights.... PLEASE help!!!
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I am sorry that you felt that you had to be sarcastic but we cannot fix your outboard from behind a computer screen and a keyboard. We can offer help as best we can, but we are not there observing and listening to your motor and testing the components.  We can only give an answer or suggestion based on the detail of the information that you furnish to us.

In your case we do not know the engine fuel pressures or the boat's fuel system aeration and vacuum. No information was furnished about what the diagnostic software indicated plus we are not privy to the "flight recorder" snapshot of the motor's parameters at 2-minute intervals. There were no ignition specs, system voltages, or TPS readings in your post to us. This is just some of the information a tech needs to start determining the problem. A lot of testing is to eliminate what is not wrong, just the same as a medical doctor does when dealing with a patient's symptoms.

Because of the complexity of the computer-controlled low-emission high-tech outboards, Evinrude spends hundreds of thousands on training facilities and training classes for their dealer technicians. A trained tech with the proper special equipment is the best-qualified person to troubleshoot your motor. The tech first has to find out which system - fuel, electrical, or mechanical - is at fault and then can narrow his or her scope to find the root cause of the malfunction and correct it.

This is an Evinrude online magazine website staffed by professionals in the marine industry. This in not a typical internet boating forum where strangers with unknown credentials impart possibly false, misleading, or even dangerous advice. Others may have no idea or experience with your type of engine but may mention that their cousin's neighbor's brother-in-law had a friend who once did this to fix some unknown outboard motor years ago. In addition, many of those non-professional internet websites have a number of members who do nothing but bad-mouth whatever engine you have or insult and flame you personally for choosing whatever boat or motor that you happen to own.

We cannot turn you into a trained tech on this site, but we can provide honest and accurate suggestions based on the information that is given to us. We can point you in the right direction and often that means to see an authorized dealer for technical assistance. We also try to educate our readers by explaining how certain things work and what may happen if they don't. Think of this site as a technical learning center.

Evinrude also has a dealer support team to assist dealers' technicians with hard to troubleshoot problems. The better dealers take advantage of this benefit whenever needed to give their customers better service.

Jreilly, I hope that you understand that we cannot utilize crystal balls for diagnosing engines and we do our best to assist our customers here on E-NATION with accurate Evinrude advice. Please feel free to contact us if you have additional questions.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.