Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2007 E-TEC 150 "Over Temp"

Recently purchased a new Grady White running an 07 E-TEC 150.

Motor is driving me nuts. I've done everything I can think of but I have little to no professional support here in Hawaii.

The motor has some sort of sensor or EMM fault, triggering an Over Temp alarm at higher RPM and speeds. However, the motor is not hot. It's otherwise running great.

I've changed out the water pump, tested thermos, checked water pressure fitting, oil change, cleaned out my exhaust fitting, checked the hoses, shot it all over with a heat gun. In short, something with the RPMs is tripping an over temp alarm putting me in limp load. It's good to go after 30 seconds or so, only to trigger again when I'm on plane.

It's not trim tab, transducer, aerating issue. The motor is pulling water and NOT HOT. At the cylinder head the hottest I can run when under stress is 180. Not sure what the operating range is for these motors but it's just not getting hot.

It doesn't seem to be pissing like it should at high RPMs but my water pressure is fine, ranging from just under 5 to 15.

Can someone for the love of god help me here? LOL. I have no faith in BRP at this point and I'm seriously disappointed. The local mechanic has zero desire to get my boat in so I'm stuck with some mechanically inclined buddies and myself.

Can someone assist me and point me in the right direction here? I'm guessing it has to be a sensor somewhere? Is the diagnostic software that I can purchase (for around $60) any good and will it give me readings on the error codes?

Thanks much,
Mike
Admiral

Re: 2007 E-TEC 150 "Over Temp"

[ Edited ]

I assume that the HOT or TEMP light is coming on and the engine slows down to 1200 rpm as the horn sounds for about 10 seconds, is that correct?

If you are sure the cylinder head temps are below 195° and that the temp sensors are reading correctly, then it is possible that the EMM is overheating internally due to restricted water flow through the cooling hoses to it and the vapor separator tank.

You may need to enlist the services of a trained technician with a laptop and the Evinrude diagnostic software to confirm that possibility.

Double check your water pressures at full speed, they should be in the mid 20's - 23 to 26  PSI - 15 PSI is too low

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Bill,

Thank you very much for the email. Looks like I'll have to trace my way back from the EMM and see if there's an obstruction of some sort. 

As for the TEMP light, yes, that's exactly what it does. It reads "OVR TEMP"...then after about 15-45 seconds or so I get full power back (once I take it out of gear and back).

Do you happen to know if i can get the job done with this diagnostic software: https://www.ebay.com/i/302090892624?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I ask this because there is a serious lack of professional support here in Hawaii (island of Oahu). The one E-Tec mechanic that I know of cannot get me in for a very long time and will not return my calls (Windward Marine).

Thanks

Highlighted
Admiral

That E-BAY software is not OEM Evinrude or it may be a crippled or a bootleg copy. Notice that it is sent from Russia, I believe. It is not a US or Canadian concern.

You may want to order the factory service manual if you plan on doing your own maintenance and repairs.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.