Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2009 etec 30HP runs then shuts off and won't restart and no alarms

I have a 2009 etec 30 that had been sitting for 2 months and It cranked up fine and got up on plane and after about 15 min of running it cut back, then power came back, then cut back again and shut itself off and wouldn't crank back up. No alarms went off, i tried to crank it up the next day and it cranked fine and after about the same amount of time it shut itself down again and wouldn't crank again. The 1st, 3rd and 4th light on the EMM came on as well. I got a digital temp gauge today and re started the engine and once again it did the same thing, the highest temp was 176 which is when it shut off. It only has 70 hours on it.
Admiral

Re: 2009 etec 30HP runs then shuts off and won't restart and no alarms

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with your outboard.

Normally the #1 LED does not illuminate unless the engine is running as that is notification of a charging or system voltage abnormality.

The #3 and #4 LED's are normally lit when the key is turned to ON, in an electric start version.

You should have your dealer check over the motor using diagnostic software to see if there are any error codes stored in the motor and to address them. With the software they can also determine if there was anything temperature related that caused the slow down, then shut down.

A problem with fuel delivery, contaminated or stale fuel, or debris in the system also can give the same symptoms of acting up after running a while, surging, and eventually stalling the engine.

Your motor is about 5 years old, did it have the complete servicing done at the 3 year point as required or is it due?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

hi there

I feel your pain, My 2009 30hp was all fine until i got the 3yr or 300 hr service done .

Got it home and the impeller was in back to front broke down every 200mtrs or so , got it fixed after i was told i started it out of the water (i live on a waterfront so not a chance).

1yr later no power and finally no go. took it in to dealer, got new impeller no go, took it back 2 months and a thousand dollars later it lasted 1hr .

Now it runs when cold for 1-2 min then stops 

im at my wits end and wife is furious at wasted money 

evinrude australia dont answer the phone 

this motor only has 155-160 hrs on it , and according to the diagnostics its never gone to full revs on a 12ft boat

So my question is did you get any answers from evinrude through this medium or not ?

could not find anywere to even start a chat 

thanks for listening

john

Admiral

JohnH,

Are you anywhere near Sydney?

Bombardier Recreational Products Australia Pty Limited
56 Canterbury Road
Bankstown 2200
New South Wales, Australia
Tel: 612-9794-6600

Bombardier Recreational Products Inc.
Customer Assistance Center
75, J.-A. Bombardier Street
Sherbrooke, Québec J1L 1W3
Canada
Tel.: +1 819 566 3366

brp.care@brp.com

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

hi Bluewaterbill,

Im one hour north

John

Admiral

If needed, it would be worth your time to have Huett Marine Centre take care of any service that your motor requires.  Craig Huett is one of AU's best Evinrude techs  along with being  a personal friend.

1131 Pacific Hwy
Cowan NSW 2081‎
PHONE: 02 9456 1444
EMAIL: info@huettmarine.com.au

Mate

hi again

thanks for the recomendation but huett marine were the ones that put the impeller in backwards or something and told me i started it out of the water (i live on a waterfront ) so starting it out of water would never happen

Bay Boats at salamander bay have been great but even they struggle to fix it last time and when they did it lasted about 1hr

thanks for the help

Was the 2009 ever recalled due to some of these over the top issues ?

Regards John 

Captain

Hi, sorry to hear your problems and looking at our records there a few gentleman with your name but it seems the last time we saw your engine was three years ago and this is the first I have heard you had a problem. It is impossible to fit the impeller the wrong way around (the key way does not allow it) and these little guys need care when flushing with fresh water due to the intake screens and two drain holes so if the impeller sucks air when flushing they will not prime and that is when they run without water. Also a note on the job 3 years ago that the boat had a hook so that can disturb water flow to the engine and cause a water pump to run in aerated water. At the end of the day we run each engine and it would of being pumping fine here after the service but if you have found elsewhere then that is the main thing and your next service is due so make sure they fit the impeller kit.

Mate

The issue I'm having starts with my 2013 25hp Etec motor running perfectly fine for around 3-5 mins to dying out, then the motor cranks an runs for a minute r so then kills, then it really struggles to crank again if at all after the motor warms up.The only history problems I had since 2013 were my fuel line motor connector.motor wasn't getting fuel causing it to die out but I bought a new fuel line an it ran fine
Admiral

We are sorry to hear of your experiences with an Evinrude E-TEC outboard motor.

It is hard to diagnose a problem like this without testing and observing the symptoms in person. A technician would have to inspect and test the motor to first determine if it is a fuel related problem or an ignition/electrical issue. From there, the tech could pin-point the testing procedures to find the malfunctioning culprit.

Depending on your engine model number and serial number, your dealer can also check for any updates or service bulletins that may apply to your particular engine.