Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

200HO Hard to start when cold

Hello,

I am currently working on a 2006 200HO Etec 20'' shaft with 460hrs. The engine was sitting for at least a year prior to me working on it. It is hard to start when it is cold, when the engine is hot it starts with a turn of the key. After it sits for a while the problem starts again and if the engine is tilted out of the water it starts easier. Here are the parts that have currently been replaced. Full 300hr service, fuel pump, injector o-rings, and flywheel, shift interupter switch, new batteries, and a new starter. I have checked the system voltage it is at 30 volts. I have also checked the capacitor and it is okay. 

After all of the above has been checked and replaced it is still hard to start but it only takes about 5 key truns to stay running. Again when it is hot it starts fine. I have also ran engine tuner thorught the injectors to help clean them out. Does anyone have an sujestions of where to look to solve this problem. Any help would be much appriciated. 

Thank you

Admiral

Re: 200HO Hard to start when cold

There are a number of things that can contribute to hard starting, as you probably well know.

Because the motor has been unused for such a long time there may be fuel related problems due to the old gasoline decomposing inside the engine components. Check the fuel pressures when starting and at all rpms. Have you removed and cleaned or replaced the VST cone filter. Use a 2012 parts list to find the number for it as it was not included in 2006 literature.

Are you troubleshooting the motor using the factory service manual? If not you should have one for reference.

Compression numbers?

Are you using the Evinrude diagnostic software?

Clean out or replace the exhaust pressure sensor tube.

Monitor the system voltage while cranking the engine and shake the capacitor to be sure nothing rattles.

Inspect the reeds for any bending or chipping

If you still cannot get the motor to operate correctly, it may need professional help from a trained tech.

excerpt from the service manual:

System Circuits (55 V)
55 V circuits are supplied 30 V when the key
switch is ON, the EMM is powered up, and the
outboard is not running and 55 V when outboard
is running.
Stator output supplies the rectifier circuits of EMM
with approximately 40 VAC when outboard is
cranking and approximately 55 VAC when outboard
is running.
Ignition System Circuits
Ignition voltage displayed on the engine Monitor
screen of the diagnostic software will have
approximately 125 ± 10 V when the key switch is
ON, the EMM is powered up, and the outboard is
not running and 200 ± 10 V when outboard is running.
Cranking voltage is approximately 200 V.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Highlighted
Mate

Re: 200HO Hard to start when cold

The exhaust sensor has been replaced as well. The VST is clean because it is brand new. Compression is great.

I am using Evinrude Diagnostics. Also I have filled the fuel filter with engine tuner to run through the injectors to help clean out any deposits left by old fuel.

I have 30V when the key is on. Originally I didn't have 55V due to a bad flywheel. That has been replaced and voltage has been restored.