Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2010 25HP ETEC won't restart

motor starts and runs fine. i stop motor to fish. when i restart motor it is hard starting. sometimes it starts but i try to put it in gear and it dies. i took it to a evinrude service dealer and he checked fault codes and found none. he ran motor while connected - engine temp reached 180deg - check thermostat and popoff valve for blockages. all clear. removed gear case to inspeckwater pump - impeller was twistedin housing as if motor had spun backward - replaced pump and housing. i just had the pump replaced last year also. now this is all happening again this year. What is going on???

Admiral

Re: 2010 25HP ETEC won't restart

What is the engine model and serial number?

Were thermostat springs and the blow-off valve springs replaced with the water pump kit?

Ask the dealer to go on a sea trial with you to duplicate the conditions. It is possible that a fuel pump is marginal, there is an air leak in the lines, or the temperature is too hot under the hood and boils  out some of the gasoline making it hard to start.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

model E25DTEIS

SN 08754610

THE PART NUMBER ON THE REPAIR ORDER IS LISTED AS: #5007986 KIT AY, WATER PUMP).

Remember the water pump was replaced the year before buy the same dealer.

Admiral

You may want to ask the dealer to install water pump kit #5008972 per service bulletin #2012-03(S)

That may or may not have been done in the past. It also includes springs to replace the ones on the thermostat and pressure relief valve which should be done to start everything new.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Bill is correct on getting the cooling system in the best possible condition. The combination of not overheating when the dealer ran the engine and no stored codes would indicate you may have a bad fuel pump. Some of these pumps that don't get run often or that have wet fuel will corrode. They will run about 20 minutes and shut down, after sitting awhile the may crank and run another 20 minutes. If this matches your engine behavior, have your dealer run it for 30 minutes in a test tank at idle.
Mate

This sounds like my problem. I don't put many hours on the motor maybe less then 10hrs a year.

Can the dealer get the total engine hours from the computer??

What is the best practice to prevent this in the future? 

Admiral

@ANDY-A wrote:

This sounds like my problem. I don't put many hours on the motor maybe less then 10hrs a year.

Can the dealer get the total engine hours from the computer??

What is the best practice to prevent this in the future? 

Install a spin-on fuel water separator filter in the boat.

Use Evinrude 2+ 4 Fuel conditioner all the time mixed at the storage rate and try to find a non-ethanol fuel

Your dealer can download an engine report from the onboard computer called the EMM. Insist on a copy for your own records. It contains the whole engine history including number of starts, total running hours, etc.