Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2011 Evinrude Etec 250

I am new to Evinrudes.  I am looking at a 2011 Hydrasports 3000 with twin Evinrude Etec 250HP with 255 hours.  What should I be looking for and what are the common problems with these engines, if there are any.

I'm having a survey done; However, the surveyer does not have the proprietory software to scan the engines so that makes me a little concern.  Any thoughts on that.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2011 Evinrude Etec 250

[ Edited ]

Most surveyors only inspect the boat, hull, and rigging. At the most they may check engine compression. Normally they are not trained in the various outboard makes and models and it is very rare for one to have the special diagnostic software.

Knowledgeable boaters also enlist the services of a tech trained and experienced in the make of engine installed to do conduct the motor inspection and evaluation. The tech can also check for any outstanding service bulletins, software updates, and any service campaigns that apply to the engine. Be sure to request a printout of the downloaded engine report.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.