Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2012 25hp etecs lower units

I have a 25 etec (E25DTEAAA) that had a lower unit replaced last year with a brand new lower. Two days ago, almost a year to the date I bumped a log while getting on plane and lost forward and reverse. Very minimal damage to the aluminum prop. It doesn't go into the repair shop until next week, so unsure of what is damaged. I've always thought the prop bushing would go before the lower unit.

I have been reading up on this situation and heard they had a problem with drive shafts not being hardened correctly and that they reduced the spline that goes into the pinion gear down to .4". 

Ive owned nothing but Johnson and now evinrude since they killed the Johnson brand since 1980 and have never had a problem. Now thinking once this repair is done that I will be leaving and going to another brand. My extended warranty is up in April. I've also gone through 4 impellers on this motor.

Has anyone else had this kind of luck or do I have a cursed motor?

Admiral

Re: 2012 25hp etecs lower units

[ Edited ]

The Evinrude E-TEC 25-30 HP outboards use a gearcase design that has been in production since 1978 for the 20-25-30 & 35 HP models over the years. When striking a submerged object, too many factors come into play to say that there are gearcase problems. It would be similar to expressing your opinion that a Chevy fender will have less damage than a Ford fender should you hit a telephone pole.

If you search the internet, you will find various conversations and images from all makes of motors with gearcase and shaft damage after hitting an obstruction.  The inner propeller hub can absorb a small amount of shock, but it is not able to prevent all prop damage.

You stated that the motor has gone through several impellers already. That is not a normal situation unless the impellers are run dry or flushing the motor incorrectly by neglecting to tape off the vent holes under the anti-ventilation plate when using flush-muffs on the gearcase. Did your dealer mention how the impellers looked when they were replaced?

Johnson outboards were produced through the 2007 model year.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It has never been started out of the water. One time I did have some weeds wrapped around and believe it was sucking some unstable water and that caused the EMM to enter safe mode. The impleller was not that damaged, but they said it was enough that the EMM went into safe mode.
I also have a 2005 Johnson 25 and I trust way more then the computer controlled etec.
As of now it’s repair it and look for a new motor. Probably leaving the world of outboards and entering the world of surface drives.
Admiral

You stated 4 impellers, did you overheat the EMM 4 different times and they replaced an impeller at each occurrence ?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I’m on my 4th impeller after looking back that needing replacement, the fourth they put in with the new lower unit because it was apart been in for almost a year. Twice the EMM went into safe mode.
Skipper

Sorry with edits that last post didn’t come out right. I had two impellers but in because the EMM went into safe mode. The 3rd was put in because they replaced the lower unit and had it apart.
Skipper

Finally getting tio disassembly this aftfternoon. Didn't take to long to find  the shaft broke just above the pinion gear. The shaft above is from a 1997 25hp that went thru hell and back, caused a few props to be re-hubbed but never let me down. Looking at putting a shaft and pinion from one of the three cylinders like someone suggested.

broken driveshaft.jpg

Admiral

It looks like the motor was running at a high rpm under load when the prop hit something.  That is evidenced by the shear point being smooth like it was cut off on a lathe.

Skipper

I  wasn't on plane, but attempting to get on plane when I hit so I wouldn't say it was high  RPM, but was under load. 

Highlighted
Admiral

Chances are it was over 3000 rpm - just a guess