Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2016 175 ETEC RPM's

[ Edited ]

i have the above mentioned motor. i have tried a few props. the 15X15 with an aggressive cup gives me the best performance on the water. from snotty days to days on the pacific when its like a lake. question is, at WOT i can only get 4850 rpm. my boat is really heavy. with the other props that got the rpm up, it was crappy handling in heavy seas. will i damage the motor running it at this rang? i usally run 3500-3800 rpm. rarley WOT. i want fuel economy & handling to be top priority. please chime in.

matt 

Mate

Re: 2016 175 ETEC RPM's

forgot to mention this is a four blade prop

Admiral

If the motor is only achieving only the 4850 rpm at full throttle, you are overworking and lugging the motor which could possibly void the warranty by operating it contrary to the factory operator's guide.

We need much more information to know how to assist you.

Your engine should turn ideally about 5500 to 5800 rpm with a normal load of fuel and passengers aboard. the maximum rpm is 6000 and the absolute minimum is 5300 rpm.

What size, make, model boat? How much does it weigh normally ? What make and model propeller?

Here are some links that you may want to study.

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories%5C...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwW0CCRUBlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQqJNIXLOc

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

[ Edited ]

85' v20 wellcraft. very heavy boat with everything on board. with all the props ive tried if i get up to 5300rpm, i have crap for out of the hole & snotty weather performance. with the engine off, i put the throdelle at full & on the unit there was still some room for the  throdelle to move forward on the motor. i wonder if im not getting everything out of it? with the 3 blade i used to have, 15X17 it was hard to stay on plane at lower speed. i adjusted the linkage so there is no slop, but still slop at the connection. 

is it only lugging if i run at WOT, if im running 3500-3800 crusing does it lugg the motor?

Captain

You will be lugging the engine at all RPMs. It's a common misunderstanding. Leaving your boat the way it is will likely cause you a lot of grief at some point.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

CPTBLY wrote:

85' v20 wellcraft. very heavy boat with everything on board. with all the props ive tried if i get up to 5300rpm, i have crap for out of the hole & snotty weather performance. with the engine off, i put the throdelle at full & on the unit there was still some room for the  throdelle to move forward on the motor. i wonder if im not getting everything out of it? with the 3 blade i used to have, 15X17 it was hard to stay on plane at lower speed. i adjusted the linkage so there is no slop, but still slop at the connection. 

is it only lugging if i run at WOT, if im running 3500-3800 crusing does it lugg the motor?

I am familiar with the classic V20 Wellcraft and love its design. Most have the 150 HP and run well with 16" Pitch Viper prop or a 15" pitch Rebel with WOT near 5500-5700 rpm. Speed is in the low to mid 40s.

Bottom paint and hull condition makes a big difference in performance. Also your dealer should check your engine and fuel system to make sure it is putting out full power on each cylinder and the linkage is opening up fully.  Many complaints of poor performance are often due to the motor mounted too low.  The anti-ventilation plate should be visible on the water, not buried, when the boat is at cruising speed or faster and trimmed out.  

Digital tachs are pretty accurate but you should have a tech with a laptop check the calibration of your tachometer, especially if it is the analog (needle) type.  The tech can also check for any engine problems, rigging problems, or possible boat problems that are affecting the performance.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.