Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2016 250HO G2- Just installed - no gauges, no startup

I just purchased a used G2 with less than 100 Hrs.  The out of state dealership did a full check of the engine and verified everything was working before shipping it to me.  I have just finshed rigging it to my ski boat.  In order to continue to use my ski type controls I choose to purchase the universal repower rigging system.  I am only using the throttle shift control components.  I purchased Pro Gauges, yes the new 7000rpm and 80mph guages- not the older ones and a 3.5" color screen.  When I turn on the engine nothing happens with the gauges.  I am pretty sure the 3.5" CS neads the motor running to turn on.  The Pro gauges should turn on and don't.  Also, it does not turn over.  turn key and nothing.  I am thinking it may be related to the nuetral switch.  I have not determined how to connect the nuetral switch.  I am using the Telestar MV3 mechanical controls with an electronic nuetral switch.  I do not know how that switch connects to the keyswitch.  It has 2 leads both yellow with strips.  Also, the keyswitch has a single wire that is not connected to anything.  I had thought the gauges would turn on even without the nuetral button connected.  Not to mention the guages should at least have the background lighting turn on.  Any idea's?  

Admiral

Re: 2016 250HO G2- Just installed - no gauges, no startup

From your description, your boat and motor should be inspected by an authorized Evinrude dealer technician who can look over, troubleshoot, and repair your outboard. Todays computer controlled and networked low-emission outboards need special tech skills and knowledge in addition to laptops and diagnostic software to set up and to throubleshoot.

For reference alone you would need the factory service manual, the installation and pre-delivery guide, and electronics install books to set it up correctly.  If you motor was from a multi-engine boat originally, it may need its instance designation changed to " 0 ".  Your technician knows how to check and change the setting if needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Isn't it almost mandatory to use a power purger to rig the steering system on a G2?

Highlighted
Admiral

Recommended, not required.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.