Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

3HP E3REDS SHIFT ROD AND SPRING CLUTCH ATTACHEMENT

Hi Guys

I just purchased a 1996 3HP E3REDS  Serial # G04142446. I wanted to make sure that it had a complete new water pump. First I noticed that the motor was in forward gear. We did the water pump and had a bit of difficulty figuring where the end of the shift rod went into the gear housing and how it shifted the gears. We finally got it in but the motor wouldn't shift into neutral. We opened the gear box and figured through a process of elimination that the end of the shift rod should align with the tip of the spring clutch and to our amazement the motor started shifting as we had hoped.

I drove home with the motor and I believe that the vibration in the truck caused the Shift rod and spring clutch to seperate.

Are we wrong?????

What keeps them together?????

Am I putting the shift rod in the wrong place????

I purchased a shop manual but it dosn't show anything on  what makes the shift rod shift from second to neutral in the gear case.

Can you provide a diagram on how the two should allign?????

Thanks,

Jersey Mike 

Captain

Re: 3HP E3REDS SHIFT ROD AND SPRING CLUTCH ATTACHEMENT

I forgot to mention that it was running purring like a kitten and shifting over and over.
Admiral

A coil spring is wrapped around the propshaft and an area of the forward gear and holds both parts together to turn the propeller. The grip is like a Chinese handcuff where the harder you pull, the tighter it gets, except imagine this in a rotating way.

To shift to neutral, the shift rod contacts a protruding tang on the coil spring which loosens its grip on the gear. The gear still is turned by engine running but without being connected to the propshaft.

It is technically called an on-off spring wrap clutch and you can read about them at 

http://www.tinyclutch.com/spring-clutches.htm

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Bill,
Does this mean that the shot rod end just floats in the lower gear box till you shift the motor? It's not actually attached to anything?
Admiral

The shift rod end remains just above the tab on the spring clutch. When neutral is selected, the rod is depressed moving downward to contact the tang or tab of the clutch spring thus unloading its grip on the gear.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks, we had it right.
Just one more question tho.
If I shift the motor into forward without the motor running, would that cause the shift rod to become misaligned with the clutch springs tab?
I've seen a number of YouTube videos where people appear to be start this type motor in gear. Is that normal?
Yes that was 2 questions.
Thanks
Highlighted
Admiral

you can shift out of gear without the motor running, but not into gear to be safe.