Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

Any benefits to a 4 blade on 250 G2

Any benefits to 4 blade prop for my G2?  250 G2 is pushing a Ranger 212LS Reata Fish & Play.  Boat weighs 2215 pounds w/o motor or gear.  G2 is also mounted to a 4" atlas hydraulic jackplate.

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

Re: Any benefits to a 4 blade on 250 G2

On many hulls with the Evinrude E-TEC G2, the new 4-bade Rx4 propeller often outperforms popular 3 bladed props. Work with your dealer to try several sizes to find the best one.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

BluewaterBill, are you seeing better performance on top end with that 4 blade Rx4?  How about heat of summer vs colder months? What pitch would you recommend I ask to start with? Thanks!

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

What propeller model and size do you have on your motor now and what is the top speed and top rpm that you can achieve with it?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

BluewaterBill, my current prop is a Raker 3 blade...where in the world is the pitch stamp??

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

RangerRyan wrote:

BluewaterBill, my current prop is a Raker 3 blade...where in the world is the pitch stamp??

Stamped on the hub of the prop behind the prop nut and washer.

Captain

Bill, finally got the information for you.

"barely" tapped 5600 RPM

59.1 mph

2 people fully loaded with full tank of fuel (39 gal.), full oil tank and ice chest.

i have a 4" hydraulic atlas jackplate

prop is a 3 blade rebel 14-7/8 x 22 (part# 763996)

boat weight dry 2215# according to rangers website (212LS) 21' 4"

i would like to achieve more top-end, faster bow-lift and better performance in turns as prop wants to cavitate.

this boat has a difficult time getting its nose up

let me know where you think I should start on props

thanks in advance!

Ryan

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Probably a 4-blade RX4 in a 22" should be the starting point but a 24" may work depending on your boat. It is trial and error to find the best all-around propeller.

The ideal rpm to shoot for is 5600-5800 but anywhere in the 5400-6000 rpm operating range is acceptable.

Captain

BluewaterBill, I'm still working with my dealer on getting a prop to try.  I haven't forgot you on the performance.  I'll be in touch.

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

Hi Captain,

Thanks for keeping me in mind