Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Autopilot for Etec G2 300 twin motor install

I have a customer that has asked me to install an autopilot on a Grady White that has been repowered with twin Etec G2 300 HP motors. I am first trying to understand what motors he has. The model numbers are E300XCUAG and E300XUAG. I can not find on the WEB any information that tells me if they have Integrated Power Steering. All I can find is that the 300 can come with and without based on th model. Next I am trying to find the equivalent RAM capacity of each motor so I can size the pump for the twin motor installation. I have tried talking to the dealer where the motors were installed and they have no clue. I can not find any technical information on the Evinrude WEB site. These motors are very complex with the integrated RAM and power steering so I do not want to damage any thing when I size the pump wrong. Evinrude should have guide lines on there web site to assist installers with these new motors.

Help please

George

Skipper

Re: Autopilot for Etec G2 300 twin motor install

[ Edited ]

On a grady you probably have a DPS standard roatation and a integrated hydraulic counter rotation that has been bypassed.  The two engine connected with a standard mechanical tie bar.

The intergrated hydraulic cylinder in a G2 is the same displacement as a single Seastar cylinder.

These motors really are not that complicated when it comes down to it.  It operates just the same as the standard hyraulic steering system, it just has a power steering unit to boost pressure in the cylinder making it easier to steer.  There are no special instructions needed for an autopilot install.

PS The early G2s with the ABA model sufix had a different DPS system and not sure how those early motors would effect an autopilot install.

Admiral

Propnut is correct. You can use an autopilot pump that is compatible with the standard SeaStar hydraulic cylinders.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Well I talked to a dealer yesterday about the autipilot issue. I was told that if the G2 had DPS that I could drive the motors with out a pump by using an autopilot that was configured with drive by wire. This is the first time that I have heard this. Is this a fact? I have not seen this anywhere on the web. So I contacted Garmin and they only sat the the drive the G2 I would need there smart pump configurations. ( very costly option). I also called Raymatrine and They said that they have a drive by wire pilot. So I looked at there installation and you must connect with a special interface for the volvo and Yamaha no mention of the G2. Why is this so hard to resolve. These motors have been in production for sometime. If it is true that you can drive by wire there should be more information out there. The dealer that is installing the motors has not been helpful. The dealer that told me about the drive by wire also told me not to use a pump with a DSP motor because you can damage the motor steering system. I am getting close to not installing an autopilot on this boat

Admiral

@george123 wrote:

Well I talked to a dealer yesterday about the autipilot issue. I was told that if the G2 had DPS that I could drive the motors with out a pump by using an autopilot that was configured with drive by wire. This is the first time that I have heard this. Is this a fact?

Someone is giving you wrong information and is not knowledgeable with the Evinrude E-TEC G2.  The G2 uses a standard hydraulic helm and hoses connected to the motor - it is NOT fly-by-wire electric steering

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

There is only 1 scenario where Evinrudes would utilize a steer by wire autopilot, that would be if your were installing a Seastar Optimus system with or without the Seastar Optimus 360 joystick steering.  When installing Seastar Optimus it is recommended to have 2 engine without the DPS, Seastar Optimus a not common because of its very high cost and little benefit because the G2 available with power steering at a much more reasonable price.

Garmin would have been the closest to being right, their Reactor 40 with smartpump system will work with a Evinrude ETEC G2 with DPS, although their Reactor system with the 2.0 and 2.1L pumps will work as well.  The 1L pump does meet the displacement specificiations but is only recommened for single engine applications.

Most of those entry level autopilots in the $1k-$1500 range are designed for smaller single engine applications and would be a liability in this application.  To get a good autopilot that meets the requires specifications your probably going to end up spending about 2x that.

Where are you located?

Mate

Thanks everyone for your comments. They have been very helpful. I have contacted Garmin about the Smart Pump solution and I will be contacting my customer to tell him what will need to be done.

Thanks again

Yesterday we had 18 inches of snow at the house. I thought spring was just around the courner. !!

Highlighted
Mate

Hey propnut what can you tell me about simrad systems i have the ap22 on the boat now i just installed twin 300 g2 will that system work ? If not what does simrad have that will work with g2