Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Blowing Main 10A Fuse

I have twin 2007 Etec 200 H.O. engines with less than 500 hours on them. Last week running the boat for 30 minutes I adjusted to 3200rpms to crusie up river. In a few minutes the STBD just shut down. No warning lights and all of my gauges from volt to temp looked good while running. Went to start the engine and the main fuse blew. It would blow about 3 seconds after turning the ingition on, before the system check could go through the 4 beeps.

Idled back on one engine and put away. Did a search through these forums and did not find an answer.

With twins and knowing the PORT engine runs good I decided to swap the harnesses at the engine to see if the problem is gauge/harness or engine. I turned the key and the fuse did not blow, I tried to start and it started. Great, must be a "boat problem. Changed the harnesses back at the engine and swaped at the ignition, system check and gauges. No problem, it started right up. I say the harness was ok and its another probelm. I switched back each pigtail connection starting the engine each time. Soon enough everything was back to original connection and running without one fuse blowing?????????????????????????????????? I pushed and pulled the main harness looking with a flash light to see it did not have a screw through it anywhere and outter jacket still intact.

After cleaning everything up and calling it for the day I thought I would start it one more time, just because I could not identify a cause. Well the fuse did not blow but the tach stopped working and the fuel pump would not turn on. I checked and there is no voltagage going to the fuel pump. Any guesses what happened?

Tomorrow I am going to swap everything back at the dash and try stating again as I originally started trouble shooting. Could the system check gauge have a fault screwing with the motor?

Admiral

Re: Blowing Main 10A Fuse

An intermittent problem is the worst to find due to its unpredictability.  Perhaps there is something on the powerhead wiring harness that is pinched or chafing against the engine block. With the key ON grab and wiggle all connectors and parts of the wiring.  Also pay close attention where the harness exits the engine grommet as that area is subject to much vibration and bending action.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Real ghost in the machine.

First, no fuses have blown since I swapped the boat harness during trouble shooting. I have eliminated wiring inside and outside of the engine. No chaffing, burns, corrosion and used an OHM meter on several leads and all is good. The problem is down to the fuel pump not working on the engine with no 12vdc from the EMM being supplied to it. A BRP tech connected and reviewed to only find an open lead code for the starter seloniod.

Rechecked wiring and all is good.

With 2 motors I swapped the seloniods and the problem did not change.

Bought a new fuel pump and the probelm did not change.

Checked the fuel pump removed and runs good from an external 12vdc battery. Just simply the fuel pump circuit on the EMM is out.

The BRP tech had a good used EMM he plugged into the motor to see if the fuel pump would run when the key was turned on and it did. Plugged into the EMM on the motor and it did not.

Yes, my motors are out of warranty. The issue I have is that the motor only has 83 running hours from new. The motor is like new and the EMM goes out.

BluewaterBill, would Evinrude swap me for a new EMM and they can use mine for research on an unknown failure in furture EMM development?

Admiral

Sorry to hear of your possible EMM problem.  Ask your technician to contact Evinrude dealer support team to see if any participation by Evinrude can be obtained to help you out.

You can also send an email including the engine serial number and dealer name to brp.care@brp.com and tell your story and ask for assistance.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.