Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: Can someone interpret the data from two motors

The sticker on both Emms has a part number and another number below it. This other number in both cases is nothing like the serial number in the EVdiag. For example. Starboard eng. Emm serial no in diag report 7009232. Number on sticker 2241108700. I'm not sure what's going on here but it looks as though I've got one Emm that's been replaced and one that needs replacing. All within 200hrs of operation. Sounds like these things are not very robust. I will check on the injectornumbers and locations today and see what that reveils.
Skipper

Injector numbers and positions match up. Maybe I should pull the Emm out and see if there is a number elsewhere.
Captain

When an EMM is replaced with a new one and the engine data file is loaded on it, all the engine injector and identification numbers will be on it. The engine hours will transfer but the EMM hours will be at zero. If an engine shows 200 hours and 100 EMM hours then it most likely had a new EMM 100 engine hours ago. Not many EMMs fail, usually they are damaged by operating with loose/ dirty battery cables or hooking up a battery backwards. I have 3 engines currently running that have sunk and the EMM is still working.
Skipper

Well I must be down right unlucky as I have two motors that have never been sunk and showing nothing untoward in the engine history yet one has had an Emm replacement and one needs an Emm replacement. I can only make the assumption that the previous owner did all the right things with regards to battery connections as they look good and are bolted down right with unlock nuts. You might appreciate that in my current position I wouldn't be the best advocate in my area for these motors. If I could buy Emms at reasonable prices it wouldn't be so bad and I would make sure they were looked after in such a way that I would hope to never have an issue again. But as it stands any savings to be had by only servicing every 300hrs has been well and truly blown away by replacement costs of fragile electronics.
Skipper

So to add some closure to this story. BRP Australia have come to the party and sold me a new EMM at a substantially reduced price after it had been diagnosed by the local dealer to be faulty. Problem is they said it was fine for me to take it home and install it myself...but....it has cold test data in it and when I do the take data from donor emm then transfer to new Emm. I get an error saying cold test data installed and no further progress can be made. The dealer is over an hour drive away. Do I need to tow the whole boat in to get the new Emm programmed? Can I just drop in both Emms.
? Is there something I can do myself?
Captain

The data memory xfer function only works for swapping programed EMMs. To load the engine data file on a blank EMM that has cold test on it the prep new EMM function has to be used but it requires a password and the bootstrap cable. You would have to contact your dealer about this.
Skipper

Ok thanks. I do have a bootstrap cable but might be stretching the friendship with the dealer to get a password. Does the software go online and do some sort of check?
Captain

I have never tried programming an EMM while off line. The password changes every 3 days so I suppose it must check.
Highlighted
Captain

These safeguards are in place due to EPA regulations and consumer protection since the EMM programing also contains the engine serial number.
In the US a dealer can order a pre programed EMM that can just be plugged in. Perhaps yours was supposed to be pre programed and you got sent a blank EMM.
Skipper

I've spoke to the dealer in a nearby town and they are going to set it up for me for only $50. I figure that's a góod deal. Just means I have to tow the boat there. Can't complain about the service from the dealer and BRP customer assitance. The young girl that runs the service side of the dealership is very helpful.