Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Considering an Etec 200 HO on a 228 mako, concerns on reliability

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a g1 200 HO for my 228 Mako that I am restoring.  Speaking to boat owners - Etec seems to be more prone to break down that a slightly cheaper (initial cost) of a  225 hp V6 Zuke. For those who work on the Etecs, is the majority of failures you see with ETECS caused by the owners - perhaps using cheap oil when the motor is set for XP-100 oil? Google engine failures - I see numerous post about catastrphic engine failure on etecs.  I have not seen a single post on the later 4 strokes of Yamaha or Suzuki - although yamaha seems overpriced.  I know the early yamaha had dry exhaust issues but that issue seem to end in the 2005-2006 era and we are talking new purchase for my repower.  All things being equal, I love the torque of a 2 stroke over 4 stroke, less maintainance, but don't want to blow an etec power head.  Are etecs more suseptable to ethanol issues than 4 strokes?  Just looking for feedback.

I don't like the noise of the Optimax so I won't purchase a Mercury on my repower and Verado too expensive.

Sincerely,Jeff

Captain

Re: Considering an Etec 200 HO on a 228 mako, concerns on reliability

I had a 200 ho for 5 years without a single issue. Very strong motor. I have heard that g1s are being offered with a 10 years warranty right now. 

Skipper

Thanks, I just wonder if many of these issues are owner related, like incorrect oil on XP100 setting or some other reason.

I really like the sound of the ETEC at idle, and the very low maintenance.  Do you use XP100 oil?  Ethanol free fuel?

I was told on my rig there would not be much difference between a 200 ho and a 250 etec outside of a few mph's.  G2's are much more expensive due to rigging cost.  I have been quoted $15500 installed for a 200 HO etec.  It seems like Zuke is trying to get more marketshare and dropping prices way low.  225 hp Zuke installed is like $14800.  Maintanance I know is much higher costwise with any 4 stroke. 

Sinc,Jeff

Captain

[ Edited ]

My 2 cents on the oil setting is to use XD100 oil on the TC3 setting. This gives you maximum protection, I always did this and my dealer recoomended this. Evinrude do not reccomend the XD100 setting "on high performance applications". In fact of some of the 3.3/3.4 V6 engines the XD100 setting was disallowed. My 2012 200 HO allowed it.

From my experiance on similar Mercs and Zukes, the performance isn't comparable, the Etec midrange torque blows those engines off the map from my observations. The other recommendation I have is to use the best gas you can get and use gas stabilizer year round. If you can get non Ethanol gas, use that.

Make sure your engine is propped properly, lugging will kill any engine. I made sure at WOT I could hit 5800 with normal load with the trim where it should be. An improperly propped engine is a mechanical disaster waiting to happen.

Make sure that the engine is mounted at the proper height before you prop. The anti-ventalation plate should be visable over green water when at speed and trimmed properly

Admiral

Is this a used engine or a new engine that has been at a dealership? If a new engine, it may be available to receive a 10-year factory coverage until Oct. 22 if it meets certain criteria at the dealership. If this is the case, talk with the dealer about the free extended coverage that the factory is offering for older unused and unsold motors in stock.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

New engines, unsure of model yrs. As I understand they don't adv model yrs anymore - a 2015 200 HO will be the same as a 2016 200 HO if they  are both G1's. 

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

There are model numbers and manufacturing dates with each motor. If the model numbers are the same then the engines are the same. I doubt there would be any significant difference between 3.3l v6 G1s manufactured in the last few years.