Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Dual 90hp Etec's

I need some advise please.

My starboard motor all of a sudden stopped charging the battery.

What could be the cause of this and where do I begin to check?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Admiral

Re: Dual 90hp Etec's

[ Edited ]

What is the engine model number?

Are the engines on separate batteries with switches for each - 2 batteries total  with the ground posts connected by a cable?

Are they wired per the Evinrude Installation Manual?

Do you have the Evinrude diagnostic software and interface cable with a laptop?

Do you have access to a battery load bank ?

Do you have the factory service manual?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply. Here is the info...

Model No: E90DPLSDA - 2006

Dual motors with dual batteries. All connected correctly.

Battery in good condition.

Skipper

Thanks for the reply. Bill

Dual motors with dual battery systems.

No I do not have the diagnostic software. Where could it be downloaded?

Battery has already been tested by a certified battery centre.

No service manual available.

Admiral

To test the charging, only run the questionable engine and on its own battery. The battery should be tested independently and charged up before beginning the evaluation. Connect a digital voltmeter to the battery terminals, not the cables, and note the voltage after running a while above idle. If it increases above 12.6 volts, the motor is charging the battery. You have to use an ammeter and a load tester to determine if full alternator output is realized. Refer to the factory service manual.

Dual battery Twin engine wiring.png

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bill

And a very prosperous 2018 to all here on E-Nation.

I had a technician with the required software looked at the motor and he did a variety of tests.

It seems that all charging parameters from the motor are correct. i.e. charge rate, charge amps and so on.

This charge does not seem to get to the battery and he seems to be of the opinion now that the problem might be with the rectifier inside the EMM. Is there any way to test this rectifier without having to replace the EMM?

Here i South Africa these units are enormously costly.

Captain

The rectifier/regulator is built into the EMM and not servicable. If the EVdiagnostics says it is charging then part of the variety of tests should have been measuring voltage with a voltmeter where the two charging outputs leads connect to the starter solenoid.
Admiral

You are correct, and EMM is very expensive and the factory finds that more than half of so-called bad EMMs returned test out OK.

Before the EMM is replaced, you should have a trained technician test the charging system thoroughly per the factory procedures using the proper tools to find out what exactly is the problem.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you all for your assistance.

We will continue to test the charging system. 

My question remains - how would I know if the rectifier is faulty? Would the EVSoftware indicate this? And where would I see this?

Admiral

The only true test of the charging system is per the service manual where an ammeter and a load tester is used to determine the total battery charging output by rpm.